Academy Placement with Spouse in FAA

CuroiusCat

Lurker
Hi all! I know that if a spouse is an ATC that they will place them together. Does anyone know if a new ATC will be placed in the same location of their spouse if the spouse works an admin position for the FAA?

Hi all! I know that if a spouse is an ATC that they will place them together. Does anyone know if a new ATC will be placed in the same location of their spouse if the spouse works an admin position for the FAA?

We have a trainee that hard shipped from ZAU to us before even starting training there, her husband is one of our Tech Ops and their kids are here as well. Just make sure you can do the job.

Spouse combos are quickly becoming one of the more common FAA scams. They almost never are easy to work with and create strife in their buildings more then they help in almost every example I have seen or heard of. They almost always have a sense of entitlement too as they are used to and now expect to get what they want as that was the case in the military and now their first step in the FAA.

Request a Spouse/partner placement request form. Technically the request would come from the person in the admin position, you will have to provide a marriage certificate/lic, and this should be done before they attend the academy or are placed as a direct hire.

Spouse combos are quickly becoming one of the more common FAA scams. They almost never are easy to work with and create strife in their buildings more then they help in almost every example I have seen or heard of. They almost always have a sense of entitlement too as they are used to and now expect to get what they want as that was the case in the military and now their first step in the FAA.
I like how we just blame each other instead of blaming the faa for their insane placement policy.

I like how we just blame each other instead of blaming the faa for their insane placement policy.
If the FAA did place people closer to where they wanted to be, there would still be short staffed lower facilities. Someone has to go to the level 4s or 5s not close to much of anything. Say what you will but since they instituted that change the lower levels are getting more bodies than they were before. I do hope the agency will see the numbers getting better and change it so people can at least stay in a certain region.

If the FAA did place people closer to where they wanted to be, there would still be short staffed lower facilities. Someone has to go to the level 4s or 5s not close to much of anything. Say what you will but since they instituted that change the lower levels are getting more bodies than they were before. I do hope the agency will see the numbers getting better and change it so people can at least stay in a certain region.
Why don’t they just hire locally? You don’t think people in level 4 town want to make 90k?

The FAA is 100% to blame for terrible hiring practices which got worse every time they tried to change them since I got into the Agency.
I will say for the prior experience placements the taking into consideration what kind of prior experience you had has helped.

Spouses get the same facility automatically? It’s not just within X amount of miles from the spouse?
When I went through a few years ago they wouldn't guarantee the same facility. Just the area.

Had a guy in my class whose wife was a TEB and he got CDW

There have been plenty of instances of people “falling in love” while at the Academy and signing a marriage license in order to end up at the same facility.

I have worked with over fifteen married couples at multiple facilities and have very rarely had any issue. To say that all married controllers create strife is painting with an awfully broad stroke.

Back
Top Bottom