Advice???

But they can go for a year, and get picked up on a prior experience bid straight to F11 or something that they actually want. Not wait for 3 years still at MLU, in hopes that NCEPT does somehow play out for them to be happy.

That’s if they even get hired back, and lucky enough to be selected to a facility that they actually want. More than likely they will be sent to another facility with a staffing problem this not even solving the problem only prolonging it. I may be biased but everyone who I came in with 6 years ago got hosed temporarily by the NCEPT and the hardships and DoD transfers slowed us down more but now 4/5 of us got picked up to higher level facilities, while those who got the instant gratification aren’t in better situations I.e training in a bigger facility but stuck on our low-level pay scale because you don’t get a pay raise when you hardship until you CPC.

Also, keep in mind, not every DOD facility receives SSR, and if they do, tower only positions get 25% and those that work approach receive 30%.
Facilities that don’t receive SSR, receive locality. I think for the most part all Air Force and Marine Corps facilities get it, the navy only had a few that do, and I’m not too sure about Army ATCers.

As of last month, all Navy facilities are authorized to receive SSR. The only catch is the facilities in areas where locality is higher than SSR. (L.A.)

So if I am understanding this GS special rate table 0565. The amounts already include the 30% SRR? or to they add that to the step amounts. For example my FAA base pay is $60,908 they are saying I need to be a step 2 making $71280 period but if that already includes the 30% I would be taking a pay cut. If I am figuring this out correctly it should be $60,908*30% = $18,272+60,908 = $79,180 which in turns that would be in between GS11 step 5 and 6

is this correct

That’s if they even get hired back, and lucky enough to be selected to a facility that they actually want. More than likely they will be sent to another facility with a staffing problem this not even solving the problem only prolonging it. I may be biased but everyone who I came in with 6 years ago got hosed temporarily by the NCEPT and the hardships and DoD transfers slowed us down more but now 4/5 of us got picked up to higher level facilities, while those who got the instant gratification aren’t in better situations I.e training in a bigger facility but stuck on our low-level pay scale because you don’t get a pay raise when you hardship until you CPC.

You're entirely correct. People view the old system with rose colored glasses. We had more CPCs, longer release dates, and less transfers with the old system. There are facilities that are currently tough to get out of with NCEPT, but this is made exponentially difficult by the people that think three, four, five years at their first facility is way too long and need to get out ASAP. We need bodies in the system to get people up and out of these facilities. The fact that the same people promoting for leaving and reapplying are the same people against NCEPT is incredible. I'm not saying not to do it, if it's the best option for your life then absolutely. Your personal happiness is obviously more important, but objectively it makes the err process more difficult for everyone else and slows down the progress.

The number of controllers that get sent to their dream facility first is incredibly low, and most people have to (and a lot of controllers did) spend a half decade or a decade at a facility they don't want.

So if I am understanding this GS special rate table 0565. The amounts already include the 30% SRR? or to they add that to the step amounts. For example my FAA base pay is $60,908 they are saying I need to be a step 2 making $71280 period but if that already includes the 30% I would be taking a pay cut. If I am figuring this out correctly it should be $60,908*30% = $18,272+60,908 = $79,180 which in turns that would be in between GS11 step 5 and 6

is this correct
The SSR pay tables already includ the SSR, I’m not sure how the save pay works from FAA to DOD. I know anything is negotiable. Sorry I cannot be more of a help.

If he/she can figure our the reinstatement process and convince a manager to hire them they go the facility of their choosing below 100% staffing. Although I don't understand the the reinstatement process and that could all be wrong. Not sure if there are facility requirements based on your experience level...

You're entirely correct. People view the old system with rose colored glasses. We had more CPCs, longer release dates, and less transfers with the old system. There are facilities that are currently tough to get out of with NCEPT, but this is made exponentially difficult by the people that think three, four, five years at their first facility is way too long and need to get out ASAP. We need bodies in the system to get people up and out of these facilities. The fact that the same people promoting for leaving and reapplying are the same people against NCEPT is incredible. I'm not saying not to do it, if it's the best option for your life then absolutely. Your personal happiness is obviously more important, but objectively it makes the err process more difficult for everyone else and slows down the progress.

The number of controllers that get sent to their dream facility first is incredibly low, and most people have to (and a lot of controllers did) spend a half decade or a decade at a facility they don't want.
But for us here we get ppl that haven’t even been here 2 years and they hardship
Or we get ppl from the academy that already have a hardship in the works and submit it before even checking out on ground
Sure the system needs more people but the hardships are hurting this facility not saying that is the case for all facilities
But it’s screwing the ncept process from ever working
And it’s hard to see other facilities like JAN having 19 decelopmentals and we can’t even get one within in a year timeframe and we r still 90 on academy list
It’s just doesn’t make sense

But for us here we get ppl that haven’t even been here 2 years and they hardship
Or we get ppl from the academy that already have a hardship in the works and submit it before even checking out on ground
Sure the system needs more people but the hardships are hurting this facility not saying that is the case for all facilities
And it’s hard to see other facilities like JAN having 19 decelopmentals and we can’t even get one within in a year timeframe and we r still 90 on academy list
All totally rational behavior if you're faced with an indeterminate amount of time at a lousy tower with no end in sight. I am telling you guys even if you gave people guaranteed 5 year release dates (even longer than pre-NCEPT!) they wouldn't do that crap.

Trust me, I'm with you on the hardships brother. That discussion has been hashed out at length on this website. A hardship and leaving and reapplying are both a loss to the facility though, so you can't really be mad at one and promote the other and then blame NCEPT. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do either if their situation calls for it, but both potentially compromise the integrity of the system.

Trust me, I'm with you on the hardships brother. That discussion has been hashed out at length on this website. A hardship and leaving and reapplying are both a loss to the facility though, so you can't really be mad at one and promote the other and then blame NCEPT. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do either if their situation calls for it, but both potentially compromise the integrity of the system.
No one's saying whether hardshipping or quitting is better. As you said they both affect the facility in the same way. You can absolutely blame NCEPT for putting people in the position where they have to choose one of those two options though.

No one's saying whether hardshipping or quitting is better. As you said they both affect the facility in the same way. You can absolutely blame NCEPT for putting people in the position where they have to choose one of those two options though.

I think the transparency is what's making people feel that way. People had less of a chance before, but they didn't realize it.

NCEPT is not making them choose one of those two options. They are choosing to because the don't want to Trust the process

I think this thread is getting off the original topic and @MJ has a forum for NCEPT debate. To the OP you got to do what is right for you ultimately, whatever that is, and not look back. Side note, it is great that you even have options to chose from with a job with the agency and a DOD offer. Many ATC’ers are stuck out there with nada

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom