AGS Masters

ajmezz

Forum Sage
Anybody here ever volunteer/work this event? If so any details you can provide? Thinking about putting in for it. Would be for tower, but any information would be helpful for others interested as well.

i didnt know they needed assistance come masters time. i have a friend who works there though. would love to get AGS on my list lol.

How do they use help for an event like this? Can you actually get certified in a tower this quickly? Or do they just have you reading clearances and stuff

When I was in the eastern region, they had solicitations for volunteers every year. Once I moved out of eastern region, I haven't seen one since. We had a few AGS transfers who said if you weren't a former AGS controller then it was some kind of tiered system where your first time volunteering you would only work clearance. Every additional time you were brought back, you would get an additional position to work. I haven't been eastern in 5-6 years so this information is at least that old and could by totally inaccurate by now.

How do they use help for an event like this? Can you actually get certified in a tower this quickly? Or do they just have you reading clearances and stuff
It’s for mostly former Augusta controllers to go back and help. They have a quick classroom and check ride to get bodies to help during the week of the Masters.

Anybody here ever volunteer/work this event? If so any details you can provide? Thinking about putting in for it. Would be for tower, but any information would be helpful for others interested as well.
What would you like to know? I used to work at AGS and I’ve been back every year to help since I’ve left. When I go back I just work radar… tower is pretty simple

What would you like to know? I used to work at AGS and I’ve been back every year to help since I’ve left. When I go back I just work radar… tower is pretty simple
I got in contact with someone the other day, but if you wouldn’t mind just giving a basic rundown for anyone else interested that would be helpful and I’m sure appreciated. What to expect as a first timer in tower/tracon, is there per diem, does faa cover travel and lodging (I assume yes but never know), is it usually a lot of former AGS folks or a mix, etc.

I got in contact with someone the other day, but if you wouldn’t mind just giving a basic rundown for anyone else interested that would be helpful and I’m sure appreciated. What to expect as a first timer in tower/tracon, is there per diem, does faa cover travel and lodging (I assume yes but never know), is it usually a lot of former AGS folks or a mix, etc.
The tower is worked by all the augmenters and any AGS people who are not fully certified. The tower people used to be Sups that came but I believe last year was the first year they had this bid for controllers… I think tower just does a quick classroom when they arrive and they plug in and train the first day. Usually certify in a couple sessions…. For tracon you have to go to A80 the week before for class and sims… then when you arrive to AGS train the first day and get certs after a few sessions… last year they had the new people only work arrivals and departures… they didn’t train on the satellite sector… last year I was the only former AGS that returned. Their pool of former AGS has ran almost dry… there are still 3-4 that could possibly apply but it’s likely they won’t…
Yes there is per diem and they cover travel. The city of Augusta pays for the hotel though… and I must say it’s not the nicest place, but they did remodel it in last year or two.

The tower is worked by all the augmenters and any AGS people who are not fully certified. The tower people used to be Sups that came but I believe last year was the first year they had this bid for controllers… I think tower just does a quick classroom when they arrive and they plug in and train the first day. Usually certify in a couple sessions…. For tracon you have to go to A80 the week before for class and sims… then when you arrive to AGS train the first day and get certs after a few sessions… last year they had the new people only work arrivals and departures… they didn’t train on the satellite sector… last year I was the only former AGS that returned. Their pool of former AGS has ran almost dry… there are still 3-4 that could possibly apply but it’s likely they won’t…
Yes there is per diem and they cover travel. The city of Augusta pays for the hotel though… and I must say it’s not the nicest place, but they did remodel it in last year or two.
Appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom