Alaska FSS

Stewie, I work in FSS (for now) is Alaska. If you have any questions about it, Alaska, etc., feel free to shoot me a DM.

I received an ATSA invitation this morning from the FSS bid I applied to in February of 2020. When I took the test last year, the testing site was having issues with the ATSA program so the entire group had to reschedule. Ultimately I didn't get to complete the ATSA. I turned 31 last month so I was pretty surprised when I received the email. I suppose the position was never filled?

No. I resigned as of Nov 2019.
Retired?

I just got a TOL for Talkeetna, does anyone know what the work-life is like for this FSS?

Do we have to live in the area? I was looking online, the population is incredibly small. Does anyone have any idea what the area is like and how a couple moving there would adjust?

I just got a TOL for Talkeetna, does anyone know what the work-life is like for this FSS?

Do we have to live in the area? I was looking online, the population is incredibly small. Does anyone have any idea what the area is like and how a couple moving there would adjust?
Talkeetna is a busy town May-September. Railroad and highway run through it. Tons of tourists and cruise ship passengers. Airport is mostly GA with a few air taxi/flight seeing operations on the field. K2/TAT.

Do you and your partner like hiking, fishing, hunting, snow machines, bears and mosquitoes? I’ve seen it be 90+ in the summer and well below 0 in the winter.

You‘ll be 1.5 hours north of the nearest Walmart (Wasilla) and 2.5 hours north of the airport (PANC).

I‘d recommend hopping on Zillow/Craigslist/Marketplace to look at available housing up there. Pay close attention, a lot of places are still “dry” plumbing up there.

If you can afford it hop on Alaska airlines and go visit it right now. Call the FSS 907-733-2277 and ask them their thoughts. It’s early enough in the year they are probably bored out of their minds.

I did 13 years in Alaska. Thankful for the experience but glad I’m outta there.

Back
Top Bottom