Amendments at the Houston Convention

FightingIrish2012

Legendary Member
Is anyone planning to propose or have heard of amendments to the NATCA convention they want considered at the next convention? We will see if the usual topics come up like seniority changes, but I think there will be lots of new ideas proposed (and probably defeated) to.

I have a few in mind. Probably won't be able to make it as I'll probably still be in training at my new facility but if anyone wants to co-sponsor anything with me, I can post them here.

I for one would definitely agree to cosponsor your amendments without any indication as to what they might be.
Fair enough. Didnt think that reply through Haha. I can work with the wording later but here are a few ideas I'm kicking around.

1) During election years, no campaigning during the hours Convention is in session. After hours OK.

Rationale: politics divides rather than unites the union

2) Local officers may unilaterally amend their Constitution up to the point it goes into compliance w/ Natl

Rationale: allows locals more flexibility to amend their constitution to ensure it comes up to the standards of Natl.

3) Create an RVP for the FCT members

Rationale: Nobody represents them who truly understand their issues and concerns

4) All members of the E-board are required to maintain at least 8 hours of currency quarterly

Rationale: it's been years since members of the e-board have spoken to an aircraft. Do they REALLY know what is going on in the facilities?

5) Any member that is forced to leave the FAA due to a shutdown, then gets rehired, shall have their seniority reset as if they never left.

Fair enough. Didnt think that reply through Haha. I can work with the wording later but here are a few ideas I'm kicking around.

1) During election years, no campaigning during the hours Convention is in session. After hours OK.

2) Local officers may unilaterally amend their Constitution up to the point it goes into compliance w/ Natl

Rationale: allows locals more flexibility to amend their constitution to ensure it comes up to the standards of Natl.

Rationale: Nobody represents them who truly understand their issues and concerns

4) All members of the E-board are required to maintain at least 8 hours of currency quarterly

Rationale: it's been years since members of the e-board have spoken to an aircraft. Do they REALLY know what is going on in the facilities?

5) Any member that is forced to leave the FAA due to a shutdown, then gets rehired, shall have their seniority reset as if they never left.
Some of those ideas are alright, I like the RVP or some type of higher lead for Flight Service. Lots of people don’t even know they are a part of NATCA and I never seen them as a factor at NIW or other events. Regarding the currency thing though, 8 hours a quarter is 8 hours every three months, basically still nothing. If you are going to go down that road I would suggest 8 hours a month like normal currency works, or have no currency requirement but a requirement of days spent visiting actual facilities per quarter to get a boots on the ground feel.

Some of those ideas are alright, I like the RVP or some type of higher lead for Flight Service. Lots of people don’t even know they are a part of NATCA and I never seen them as a factor at NIW or other events. Regarding the currency thing though, 8 hours a quarter is 8 hours every three months, basically still nothing. If you are going to go down that road I would suggest 8 hours a month like normal currency works, or have no currency requirement but a requirement of days spent visiting actual facilities per quarter to get a boots on the ground feel.
Contract not FSS

I’ll sign it, but I’d like to see FSS get their own RVP. The fact that they are continually sidelined is ballocks in my book.

I’ll sign it, but I’d like to see FSS get their own RVP. The fact that they are continually sidelined is ballocks in my book.

I can add FSS to that as well. They are currently under Region X but I would be in favor of them getting their own RVP.

I think I like your idea better of spending a certain amount of time at Regional facilities every month/quarter/ year whatever

Last edited:
FCT is contract towers? Fuck those guys then...... Just kidding, just kidding lol.

Love the idea of somebody actually giving a shit about us, in theory, but that’s a far fetch. The issue we’ve had is 50% staffing with no end in sight, working 6/10s (until the company said wellllll we’re cutting back on overtime to save money), leave getting denied, not even getting an opportunity to bid prime time leave, schedule regularly coming out no greater than 5 days prior to the start of it. The main issue has been staffing though. We’re in the 95th percentile of traffic worked in ALL terminal facilities FCT and FAA and we do that with 4 people most days, two 7am and two 2pm. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

Love the idea of somebody actually giving a shit about us, in theory, but that’s a far fetch. The issue we’ve had is 50% staffing with no end in sight, working 6/10s (until the company said wellllll we’re cutting back on overtime to save money), leave getting denied, not even getting an opportunity to bid prime time leave, schedule regularly coming out no greater than 5 days prior to the start of it. The main issue has been staffing though. We’re in the 95th percentile of traffic worked in ALL terminal facilities FCT and FAA and we do that with 4 people most days, two 7am and two 2pm. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

I'm going to DM you later.

Not trying to be a buzz kill but the currency issue won't fly. I will also say that I hold no position whatsoever union or mgmt ?...

They way I see it is you are starting to cross a line on something that's already covered in a faa order. If you're at a facility that has enough members to allow enough official time that your facrep is off the boards altogether then area reps need to be passing info and issues on to said facrep.

Sounds more like a breakdown in communication.

Back
Top Bottom