Any previous aircraft dispatchers?

Mindsage25

Hello everyone!

Was just offered a June 2nd Terminal class date but been having some serious second thoughts. I'm currently a part 121 dispatcher and although its with a regional - the schedule, travel benefits, and my current location is hard to beat. I'm about 2 years into this career and hoping to get on with a major when the demand comes back. But overall, I'm curious. Has anyone here made the jump from dispatch to ATC? What has the experience been?

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

Was just offered a June 2nd Terminal class date but been having some serious second thoughts. I'm currently a part 121 dispatcher and although its with a regional - the schedule, travel benefits, and my current location is hard to beat. I'm about 2 years into this career and hoping to get on with a major when the demand comes back. But overall, I'm curious. Has anyone here made the jump from dispatch to ATC? What has the experience been?

Thank you!
Do it. Unless your reasonably sure you will wind up at a major in the next couple years and really like dispatching. But ATC is way more fun

Hello everyone!

Thank you!
Atc is awesome. It really is. It’s risky tho. Very risky. You have to risk passing the academy. Risk certifying somewhere. Risk getting to a location of some sort of desire. Risk transferring somewhere close to home. Risk certifying after your transfer. You don’t get the travel benefits. You also have to work a shifts you might not like for a while.
All that being said though, it’s a great career if you make it. And like 32 said, if there’s any sort of guarantee you’d make it at the majors I’d really think the jump from dispatch to ATC through.
Remember terminal out of the academy you’re CPC salary would range 70-100k without OT
Center out of the academy could easily make 130+ without OT

Hello everyone!

Thank you!

Since you're at a Regional, I say go for it. If you were at a Major I would say no, stay put. I had 3 years in with a Major, decided to accept my offer to try and accomplish this dream I had since I was a young teen. I graduated Academy a month prior to age out. I'll just say, at this point I do regret leaving. But again to reiterate, since you're at a Regional just do it. If it doesn't work out, then try to get right in with a Major. By then maybe the Majors will finally be hiring again. Best of luck.

Also if you do ATC and retire there could be a sweet gig for you back at an airline since you’d have atc and dispatch experience.

also don’t forget atc gives you a pension when comparing salaries.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Thank you!
I worked at Delta for about 7 years although not as a dispatcher and I can say the only thing I miss are the flights. I did know a few a few dispatchers and if I remember their salary was comparable to an level 11 CPC salary. But if this is your dream go for it you don't want to look back and wonder what could've been. If possible make sure to keep some type of relationship with your current employer so that if something happens you may have a chance to go back.

Back
Top Bottom