Anyone got tips on controller nerves?

2fast4yu

Doing non-radar labs for a week and I keep letting my nerves get to me, I know the answer, but I start speaking faster than my brain processes the correct response and it’s getting to me. Feel like I fucking suck and not sure if radar will be any better. How did you guys get through it?

A chunk of the job is repetition - phraseology, doing things similarly repeatedly, etc. If you’re not studying on your off-time, start. If you’re not practicing phraseology with a few classmates you trust and are doing well, start. Especially if you have the book open and can call each other out with the examples right there.

The more you do it, the less frantic it feels coming out. We use a ton of phraseology very little in ATC, and you can tell when those things aren’t as frequently used.

You’re coming in from not using these words to using them a lot, so the more it can be spit out correctly, the better. If that means you take five extra seconds to process it before you key up the mic, then take that time to get it right the first time.

Also “correction” is your best friend as long as you don’t unkey. ;)

A chunk of the job is repetition - phraseology, doing things similarly repeatedly, etc. If you’re not studying on your off-time, start. If you’re not practicing phraseology with a few classmates you trust and are doing well, start. Especially if you have the book open and can call each other out with the examples right there.

The more you do it, the less frantic it feels coming out. We use a ton of phraseology very little in ATC, and you can tell when those things aren’t as frequently used.

You’re coming in from not using these words to using them a lot, so the more it can be spit out correctly, the better. If that means you take five extra seconds to process it before you key up the mic, then take that time to get it right the first time.

Also “correction” is your best friend as long as you don’t unkey. ;)
Been hanging out with some classmates, we’re still getting the remote part down. The issue is the book only goes so far with the phrases, I start losing what to say say after a clearance has been issued and pilot calls. I understand what I need to say, but it slips all out of order. I heard someone said chewing nicotine helps?

Been hanging out with some classmates, we’re still getting the remote part down. The issue is the book only goes so far with the phrases, I start losing what to say say after a clearance has been issued and pilot calls. I understand what I need to say, but it slips all out of order. I heard someone said chewing nicotine helps?
Somehow I doubt a cancer causing habit helps.... try gum. Slow down and think before you speak. Practice. There are no other tricks. It's just repetition and getting comfortable with the phraseology

Feeling like you fucking suck is called training here in the FAA. You're just in training. Most days you will feel like you suck, and then one day you'll feel like you don't suck quite as much.

Stick with it, use proper phraseology, and you will be OK.
You’re gonna feel like you suck as long as your training. Even out of the academy. Even when you cpc there’s gonna be days you feel like you suck ? time to get used to that feeling. But like everyone said. Just repeat and practice.

Slow is smooth
Smooth so fast

When I first learned this job I would go for runs and say phraseology, two birds one stone. Clear mind and repetition of saying all that stuff.

Reading this, my first thought is "okay, so practice more". And your first thought is nicotine?

What exactly is "slipping out of order" for you? Its worth noting that if you aren't to NR problem 10 yet, and you're still a bit lost, that's okay. But around 10/11 you should have a clear idea and plan for things, and begin to work on your speed.

Feeling like you fucking suck is called training here in the FAA. You're just in training. Most days you will feel like you suck, and then one day you'll feel like you don't suck quite as much.

Stick with it, use proper phraseology, and you will be OK.
The instructor was just harping how we should be passing coordination one day in 5 seconds in the first week so it just kinda messed with my head to say things fast since then. Just got to take a break before I answer. Will try again tomorrow.

Reading this, my first thought is "okay, so practice more". And your first thought is nicotine?

What exactly is "slipping out of order" for you? Its worth noting that if you aren't to NR problem 10 yet, and you're still a bit lost, that's okay. But around 10/11 you should have a clear idea and plan for things, and begin to work on your speed.
Nope, still problem 4-5. I just heard the nicotine calms the nerves. I get a little nervous speaking publicly when I don’t fully understand something.

I just heard the nicotine calms the nerves.
Source:
mad men smoking GIF

Nicotine withdrawal symptoms include depressed mood, stress, anxiety, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and sleep disturbances.
Just what the doctor ordered.

Start Smoking at the end of your career. Then immediately ask the doctor to get chantix to quit.

Boom, DQ’d. Now burn that sick leave instead of taking it as a 40% payout at the end of your career.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. A problem I used to have that you might is keying, thinking, then speaking. Think until you're ready to speak then key up. You don't have to respond as soon as you're addressed. Get that out of your mind. It doesn't matter how fast you get something out if it's incorrect.

It's better to be slow and correct than fast and incorrect. Speed is always the last thing you'll need to work on no matter what position. Knowledge, procedures, and everything else comes first.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. A problem I used to have that you might is keying, thinking, then speaking. Think until you're ready to speak then key up. You don't have to respond as soon as you're addressed. Get that out of your mind. It doesn't matter how fast you get something out if it's incorrect.

It's better to be slow and correct than fast and incorrect. Speed is always the last thing you'll need to work on no matter what position. Knowledge, procedures, and everything else comes first.
Talk slow and they can’t check in and step all over you!

Gotta grow some balls and tell em to cut that shit out. Had to do that shit before too.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast but if you’re slow enough to the point that the RPO has 3 or 4 overdue prompts ready by the time you finish a clearance that’s on you.

I know it doesn’t seem like when you’re at the academy and learning on the fly but there really is plenty of time to get done everything you need to get done so just stop and breath. Look at the clock too, if the minute ticks over and the RPO doesn’t key up that means they don’t have a prompt and you have another 60 seconds to figure out what you need to and do it.

Back
Top Bottom