Anyone in the Reserves?

Thanks for the insight, everyone. There’s some good information in here!

I have another question regarding leave. Would a full-time FAA employee that joins have to take LWOP while at basic training and tech school? I’m guessing that’s how it works, right?
You’d get mil leave for the first 3 weeks then it’s annual, credit, or LWOP.

You’d get mil leave for the first 3 weeks then it’s annual, credit, or LWOP.

Is that just the standard 15 days (5 days per work week x3) that everyone gets? If so, that makes sense.

I guess where it gets complicated is if your RDO’s aren’t Saturday/Sunday. It sounds like you would have to burn through a ton of leave if you don’t have those as your RDO’s.

Is that just the standard 15 days (5 days per work week x3) that everyone gets? If so, that makes sense.

I guess where it gets complicated is if your RDO’s aren’t Saturday/Sunday. It sounds like you would have to burn through a ton of leave if you don’t have those as your RDO’s.
Or you to could take LWOP since you'll still be getting paid by the military. Depending on where you are in training vs what rank you are could mean you take a pay cut or end up making more money that way.

You can also do an RDO swap with yourself, if you don‘t want to burn leave once you pass 15 days. Management should have no issue with this at all, since they have no say in you be gone for drill.

There is a "reservist differential" pay, which will pay the difference of your civilian pay and military pay.https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-administration/#url=Reservist-Differential
That will help with pay concerns. I am currently reserve ATC and would suggest if you have a degree pursue officer and as stated earlier choose an unrelated career, good to learn a new skill.

Back
Top Bottom