April (Q2) 2019

Hell yeah, no income taxes and anything you want to do outdoors close by.

so you are saying if I offered you 150k a year to work level 8 traffic you'd turn it down?

Image result for i dont believe you gif

San Diego is expensive but you can find something reasonable to the east. And you can't honestly think Reno isn't a shit hole too if you think san diego is. I've spent a fair amount of time in both (more in SD).
edit: just for full disclosure i was born and raise in LA county and lived in orange county for 10 years.

so you are saying if I offered you 150k a year to work level 8 traffic you'd turn it down?

San Diego is expensive but you can find something reasonable to the east. And you can't honestly think Reno isn't a shit hole too if you think san diego is. I've spent a fair amount of time in both (more in SD).
edit: just for full disclosure i was born and raise in LA county and lived in orange county for 10 years.

I would take 105k in CVG and enjoy a few acres of land and a large house versus 150k in SAN and a shithole in the desert. Quality of life is a huge factor for me, and I have yet to see anywhere in California where you dont have to sacrifice something in regards to quality of life.

I would also take RNO over SAN any day, having lived in both places. Except I miss Colimas in Oceanside with their legit Cali Burrito.

Also SAN is 107k at the bottom of the band or 75k after taxes. So I would definitely do 105k in CVG or 67k in RNO before I would move back to Cali.

I could have went to BUR out of the academy, would have been such an easy move. Didnt want to go back to Cali.

Reno is basically Tahoe. It’s a cool place to live if you want to ski or hike and stuff like that

Also SAN is 107k at the bottom of the band or 75k after taxes. So I would definitely do 105k in CVG or 67k in RNO before I would move back to Cali.

I could have went to BUR out of the academy, would have been such an easy move. Didnt want to go back to Cali.

How much do you think state income taxes are? I guarantee the CIP covers that alone

How much do you think state income taxes are? I guarantee the CIP covers that alone
Cali state income tax (interwebs calculator) on $107k is $6,800. I believe CIP is calculated off of base pay without locality, it would come out to (SAN) $5,529. If CIP is fixed off base pay it doesn’t go up as you earn more, make $145k at SAN and your state income tax is almost double CIP.
CIP didn’t offset my state income tax in VA either.

Since this thread is already balls-deep off-topic imma throw in Philly's 2 cents...

Listening to someone try to defend Cali in any context always seems like the most absurd one-way debate I've ever heard that always ultimately ends in "Yeah but Cali is just so fucking great bro, you wouldnt understand."

Except I do understand, because I live in NYC and everyone who works here justifies living on Long Island with the same insane fervor as Cali people. Hearing this argument is like listening to an opioid addict try to justify how they got hooked.

Cali is beautiful to visit. NYC is beautiful to visit. Cali has amazing food. NYC has amazing food. Cali has so much culture. NYC has so much culture. And that's pretty much where you can draw the line.

Both are grotesquely expensive to live, and the historic outflow of residents from both states isnt some sort of random happenstance of planetary alignment. It's because they're insane liberal welfare states with pound-me-in-the-ass taxes to pay for all their public programs.

Give me a 4bed/3bath beachside in north Florida for $600k and I'll gladly invite you over for a BBQ with my meth head neighbors.

Last edited:

Caveat Emptor! CIP is a scam that's not doled out in any fair, equitable, or transparent manner. Base where you go based on this boondoggle shrouded in secrecy, at your own peril.

That said I'd live in Poway if i was forced to take my talents to sunny SAN. "the city in the country" like the sign says. But i'd be poor and wishing I could go somewhere my money went further, like CLE, to watch Baker Mayfield win multiple Super Bowls. I'd listen to Jack Johnson on the beach in La Jolla and watch the seals sun themselves, knowing all the while that I am an imposter who is not truly on their level.

giphy.gif

Give me a 4bed/3bath beachside in north Florida for $600k and I'll gladly invite you over for a BBQ with my meth head neighbors.

giphy.gif

sick 100th post! dont forget to invite all the degens w mullets from Ocala. they dont get out to the coast too often. we will throw back a 30 rack and exchange ATC hot goss

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this thread is already balls-deep off-topic imma throw in Philly's 2 cents...

Listening to someone try to defend Cali in any context always seems like the most absurd one-way debate I've ever heard that always ultimately ends in "Yeah but Cali is just so fucking great bro, you wouldnt understand."

Except I do understand, because I live in NYC and everyone who works here justifies living on Long Island with the same insane fervor as Cali people. Hearing this argument is like listening to an opioid addict try to justify how they got hooked.

Cali is beautiful to visit. NYC is beautiful to visit. Cali has amazing food. NYC has amazing food. Cali has so much culture. NYC has so much culture. And that's pretty much where you can draw the line.

Both are grotesquely expensive to live, and the historic outflow of residents from both states isnt some sort of random happenstance of planet alignment. It's because they're insane liberal welfare states with pound-me-in-the-ass taxes to pay for all their public programs.

Bro your already so skewed thinking 600k is affordable ???

Lived on the east coast my whole life.. For me, the San Diego weather, beach, food, culture, and outdoor activities are worth the cost of living. I'm in Denver now and rent seems comparable to San Diego. I don't think you can work a level 12 and live in a fun, big city without some sort of sacrifices to quality of living. NYC, SF, and LA are different beasts entirely.

Born and raised in Orange County, CA. Family is what is keeping us here for the time being, but long term I see a better future in a more affordable state with better quality of life for our kids. I'm at a level 5 air carrier facility in SoCal (ONT). To afford a house here we left OC and headed east to the Inland Empire (Lake Elsinore). Bought a 4br 3ba 1900sqft for 325k in 2016. House now worth about 390k. If I ERR to any mid to high level here I'd have a long drive, esp with traffic. It's over an hour to SNA in zero traffic, but 2 hours one way in traffic. LAX is 90 min no traffic. SCT 75 min no traffic. SAN 85 min no traffic. LGB same. CNO (Level 7) is same as ONT, 45 min no traffic, which would both be the closest-- again, with no traffic or construction but both are a constant. Moving back to LA/OC would mean trading our "big" house for a much smaller residence at nearly double the cost. Southern California has been an incredible place to grow up- but it's changed dramatically in my 36 years here. Taxes have skyrocketed, homelessness and crime are way up , and traffic & gridlock is non stop even during non commuting hours. Lack of adequate infrastructure. Will always love the natural beauty and adundance of things to do here in CA, but our only long term solution for the betterment of our kids may be a move east. AZ, ID, NV, TX, UT.

Bro your already so skewed thinking 600k is affordable ???
I meant for a comparison of what you could get haha... $600k in North Florida would get you a house with actual beach frontage...same thing in OC would go for what like 10 times that, at least? No fucking Mexican food in the world is going to cause me to think that's acceptable.

$600k would get you some basic ass house in some shit ass village on Long Island, which, if you talked to some of my coworkers "is a fucking dream home."

$600k in the city? I've seen parking spots go for more than $600k in NYC.

I meant for a comparison of what you could get haha... $600k in North Florida would get you a house with actual beach frontage...same thing in OC would go for what like 10 times that, at least? No fucking Mexican food in the world is going to cause me to think that's acceptable.

$600k would get you some basic ass house in some shit ass village on Long Island, which, if you talked to some of my coworkers "is a fucking dream home."

$600k in the city? I've seen parking spots go for more than $600k in NYC.

CMH or CVG . go there cap out and have a mansion.
CLT, TPA, and then Denver Approach/Tower, and Houston Approach/Tower

Amazing that CLT took so many ERRs a couple years ago. OFC the guy making IEDs like the unabomber helped open up at least 1 slot. I feel like ive met literally dozens of controllers who wistfully say.... "maybe i'll transfer down to Tampa" . Ive always assumed TPA has to be right up there at the top

Back
Top Bottom