Army to ATC

Presley15

Lurker
Hey everyone,

I know you've probably read this thread 100 times but I'm new to the site and know next to nothing about being an ATC other than it seems like something I really want to do. I am 14 months away from finishing an 8 year career in the Army. I have zero aviation experience, but i have an active secret clearance and have operated under some "stressful conditions" ;) in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm in contact with a friend of mine who is currently an ATC in TX and he's answering most of my questions but additional info is always welcome. Some basic questions I have:

What are my chances of getting hired OTS on my first attempt?

What can I do to maximize my chances of hire?

Does the basic portion of the Academy, (if I'm accepted), teach at a pace slow enough for someone with no experience?

Should I study the .65 beforehand?

Any guesses on when the bid will come out?

If you're not selected, do they tell you?

Do you get to choose terminal or enroute or is it assigned to you?

Anyone vets like me here that were successful?

I could go on all day but I'm sure that's plenty for now. Thanks in advance everyone. I really want to do this. The money is okay but after spending countless hours researching post-military jobs, this is the first one that sounds challenging and interesting. Shower me in information, I am a sponge. Thanks again.

Read the FAQs...

It's possible to get hired first go-around. More so with military background because they bump your ATSA score if you're a five-point or ten-point vet. Nothing is guaranteed.

To maximize chance of hire, do a good job on the ATSA.

Basics is literally designed to take someone with zero experience and get them ready for initial training.

You might look through the .65 just to get a feel for phraseology but don't study hard or practice anything. They teach you exactly what they want you to know, which may or may not match up with the current .65.

Next OTS bid is probably this summer. If you're 14 months from separation right now you won't be eligible. Wait for 2020.

If you're not selected they'll let you know a week or so before the NEXT bid comes out.

No choice terminal/enroute.

Thanks for the reply. That generated two questions lol.

I just find somewhere online to apply to take the ATSA?

My friend was in the Airforce when he applied. He was 11 months out when the bid came and they didn't give him a hard time about not being 120 days or less from separation. Have you heard of this?

Realistically, if the process takes 6 months or so to be selected, and the bid doesn't come out for another month, I will be around 6 months from seperation by then. I'm gonna be pissed if that's the reason I can't get hired.

Thanks for the reply. That generated two questions lol.

I just find somewhere online to apply to take the ATSA?

My friend was in the Airforce when he applied. He was 11 months out when the bid came and they didn't give him a hard time about not being 120 days or less from separation. Have you heard of this?

Realistically, if the process takes 6 months or so to be selected, and the bid doesn't come out for another month, I will be around 6 months from seperation by then. I'm gonna be pissed if that's the reason I can't get hired.

You need to wait for a bid and apply using the USAJOBS resume builder. Reference the 120 days from separation, there are some HR reps that are sticklers but it’s been hit or miss as far as enforcement. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

FAQ: FAQ

Back
Top Bottom