ATC HIRING Procedure

Phila

If someone can help me understand a few things about the hiring process, I'd appreciate it. I am a 1991 graduate of the academy and the hiring/screen process has changed significantly over the years.
My son is going through a CTI Program and will graduate next year. Is there any test prep one recommends for the ATSA? I understand that it's a relatively new test, but is there any preps on-line that are worth buying that will help one prepare for the test? I've looked around on this website, thought I saw a link from MJ, now I can find it anymore. Was the ATC Test Prep worth the purchase?
Back in the day we had a two month non-radar screen course to pass. Once you passed, you got your facility. Mine was KALB Tower/TRACON. You were able to choose location by region. Do they still do that like, Eastern Region, Western, New England Region? I'd appreciate any help. I'm going to dig around to see what's on these websites. Oh, and what is the Academy like these days? If you get a Terminal TOL, do you have to go through a non-radar screen course? Enroute? TRACON? Thanks for any assistance.

PH

If someone can help me understand a few things about the hiring process, I'd appreciate it. I am a 1991 graduate of the academy and the hiring/screen process has changed significantly over the years.
My son is going through a CTI Program and will graduate next year. Is there any test prep one recommends for the ATSA? I understand that it's a relatively new test, but is there any preps on-line that are worth buying that will help one prepare for the test? I've looked around on this website, thought I saw a link from MJ, now I can find it anymore. Was the ATC Test Prep worth the purchase?
Back in the day we had a two month non-radar screen course to pass. Once you passed, you got your facility. Mine was KALB Tower/TRACON. You were able to choose location by region. Do they still do that like, Eastern Region, Western, New England Region? I'd appreciate any help. I'm going to dig around to see what's on these websites. Oh, and what is the Academy like these days? If you get a Terminal TOL, do you have to go through a non-radar screen course? Enroute? TRACON? Thanks for any assistance.

PH

Can't help with the test prep, sorry.

Enroute students are the only ones that do non-radar anymore. Everyone has to do 3-4 months at the academy depending on what TOL they get. Either tower Sims, en route Sims, or TRACON Sims, as appropriate.

As for being placed, it's changed about one million times since then. Currently, the way it works is 1 for 1 facilities to people that pass. The facilities are all over the country, they got rid of picking regions or service areas.

Read the FAQs

Why does everyone on the website compete to see who can say this the fastest? If you don't want to take the time to answer at least post a link to the FAQ. Nobody is forcing you to reply if you don't want to help.

No prep for the ATSA, I was one of the group to first try it. It's really all just quick minor math, position correlation, and reasoning. Nothing too crazy and really no way to study properly unless you're kid is into those brain trainers on phones and stuff.

I will say after I was done I felt horrible about it. Most people do.

I'm pretty sure your other questions were answered already.

PH

People swear by the atctestprep, they say it helps tremendously. I personally didn't use any sort of training material for the ATSA, all I did was play games like diner dash that helped with my reaction time. If you want to spend the 20-30 dollars on the test for your child then do it. It can't hurt.

The academy is probably the exact same as when anyone else went through, it hasn't changed much over the years from what I've heard. Can't speak for tower guys but enroute does infact still do Non-Radar, evals and all worth 14% of your grade. It's a 4 month program for enroute and I believe 3 months for tower. Tracon isn't offered unless you live near a tracon facility that needs staffing like N90.

People swear by the atctestprep, they say it helps tremendously. I personally didn't use any sort of training material for the ATSA, all I did was play games like diner dash that helped with my reaction time. If you want to spend the 20-30 dollars on the test for your child then do it. It can't hurt.

The academy is probably the exact same as when anyone else went through, it hasn't changed much over the years from what I've heard. Can't speak for tower guys but enroute does infact still do Non-Radar, evals and all worth 14% of your grade. It's a 4 month program for enroute and I believe 3 months for tower. Tracon isn't offered unless you live near a tracon facility that needs staffing like N90.

Thanks for your reply. Back in the day (1991) everybody went through Non-Radar. We were looking at 65% pass rates. Good luck in training and in your career. It's a great job! PH

No prep for the ATSA, I was one of the group to first try it. It's really all just quick minor math, position correlation, and reasoning. Nothing too crazy and really no way to study properly unless you're kid is into those brain trainers on phones and stuff.

I will say after I was done I felt horrible about it. Most people do.

I'm pretty sure your other questions were answered already.

Interesting! He'd like KLAS Tower, as we live here. Taking off from Reno one day we were in a steep climb I believe to the north to avoid terrain!

Interesting! He'd like KLAS Tower, as we live here. Taking off from Reno one day we were in a steep climb I believe to the north to avoid terrain!

Impossible to get LAS out of the academy. Grads are placed in level 4-7 facilities which are generally in smaller metropolitan areas.

RNO controller, yep to the steep climb, windshear, and turbulence winds variable at 4 gusting 31...cleared to land...

Thanks for your reply. Back in the day (1991) everybody went through Non-Radar. We were looking at 65% pass rates. Good luck in training and in your career. It's a great job! PH

Impossible to get LAS out of the academy. Grads are placed in level 4-7 facilities which are generally in smaller metropolitan areas.

I would say he could get North Vegas tower but last I knew they had pretty high projected staffing

Back
Top Bottom