ATC training

TmplODoom

Lurker
Hi All,
I haven’t thought much about ATC in the past, but after my piloting ambitions fell through and catching the Instagram AMA I’ve become really interested in pursuing ATC training. I have a bachelors of science, more than three years work experience (not in aviation) but have been training in aircrew with Civil Air Patrol for two years now. Unfortunately I missed the window for trainee applications, so I was wondering if there will be another application window open this year. Any assistance is appreciated, stay safe out there

Hi All,
I haven’t thought much about ATC in the past, but after my piloting ambitions fell through and catching the Instagram AMA I’ve become really interested in pursuing ATC training. I have a bachelors of science, more than three years work experience (not in aviation) but have been training in aircrew with Civil Air Patrol for two years now. Unfortunately I missed the window for trainee applications, so I was wondering if there will be another application window open this year. Any assistance is appreciated, stay safe out there
There won’t be about bid this year. Catch it again in 2023

Hi All,
As long as your pilot ambitions weren’t put to bed by not being able to pass a medical just look for the next bid. Next bid will likely be next year.

As long as your pilot ambitions weren’t put to bed by not being able to pass a medical just look for the next bid. Next bid will likely be next year.
Okay full disclosure, I take insulin for diabetes. Was previously denied a Class 3 Medical because I was on Jardiance, which is disqualifying, but I no longer take that. Is there any path for me to get cleared for Class 2?

full disclosure, I take insulin for diabetes. Was previously denied a Class 3 Medical because I was on Jardiance, which is disqualifying, but I no longer take that. Is there any path for me to get cleared for Class 2?
I have no idea. If you get initially selected they’ll send you to the flight doc. But my guess is if you can’t get a class 3 you won’t be able to get a class 2.

Type 1, I use an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor, closed loop system
There are controllers who are type 1 currently working in the NAS. You may have to jump through some hoops, but you can become a controller. You may encounter someone in the process who tells you no and you may have to figure out a way around them.

There are controllers who are type 1 currently working in the NAS. You may have to jump through some hoops, but you can become a controller. You may encounter someone in the process who tells you no and you may have to figure out a way around them.
Thank you, I’m hoping to be able to pass medical but we’ll see. Are there any other departments in FAA that you know of where diabetics work? I want to work in the industry no matter what the job title is.

Thank you, I’m hoping to be able to pass medical but we’ll see. Are there any other departments in FAA that you know of where diabetics work? I want to work in the industry no matter what the job title is.
You can get an ATC medical with T1 Diabetes, ATC medical is nearly the same as a class 2 but technically different in some small way I’m not sure of.

You will be issued what’s called a Special Consideration, where you’ll have to monitor your blood sugar and keep it within certain ranges while in the operation. Additionally you will have to get paperwork filled out both quarterly and annually throughout your career to be able to keep working. FWIW the FAA‘s requirements make me keep up on my diabetes far better than I probably would if left to my own devices.

Source: I’ve had Diabetes since I was six years old, been an FAA controller for eleven years. Feel free to PM me I check here like once a week or so.

You can get an ATC medical with T1 Diabetes, ATC medical is nearly the same as a class 2 but technically different in some small way I’m not sure of.

You will be issued what’s called a Special Consideration, where you’ll have to monitor your blood sugar and keep it within certain ranges while in the operation. Additionally you will have to get paperwork filled out both quarterly and annually throughout your career to be able to keep working. FWIW the FAA‘s requirements make me keep up on my diabetes far better than I probably would if left to my own devices.

Source: I’ve had Diabetes since I was six years old, been an FAA controller for eleven years. Feel free to PM me I check here like once a week or so.
Thank you so much, I will definitely DM you

Back
Top Bottom