Medical Best Health Insurance for new baby.

TheD.A.T.

Lurker
Hey all,
I’ve always been a GEHA standard member as it is cheaper than BCBS per paycheck deduction. My wife and I are planning to have a baby next year and I am weighing my options if its beneficial to switch to BCBS next open season. I’m looking to avoid a huge bill from the hospital but not pay extra for BCBS if the bills are similar. FYI I planning on maxing my FSA next year. Any experience with baby bills for GEHA or BCBS?

Baby bill for BC is like $200 for EVERYTHING during the pregnancy I think. As long as there’s no NICU I think.

Dang that's a huge increase! We only paid $150!

Seriously though, like he said Blue Cross is pretty legit. Basic (lower premium) is best for most families; Standard (higher premium) has some specific things that are really helpful in certain situations or if you MUST see a specific doctor. There's a newer cheaper one called Focus that I don't know much about. Here's the link to the comparison page for 2020: Compare Benefit Options for 2020 - Blue Cross and Blue Shield's Federal Employee Program

Dang that's a huge increase! We only paid $150!

Seriously though, like he said Blue Cross is pretty legit. Basic (lower premium) is best for most families; Standard (higher premium) has some specific things that are really helpful in certain situations or if you MUST see a specific doctor. There's a newer cheaper one called Focus that I don't know much about. Here's the link to the comparison page for 2020: Compare Benefit Options for 2020 - Blue Cross and Blue Shield's Federal Employee Program
Yeah do not do focus if you're having a baby lol i have it. Its only good for people that dont go to the doctor.

...Its only good for people that dont go to the doctor.
For people that never have to go to the doctor, a high deductible health plan is usually the best. The premiums are really low, and then if you never go you don't pay another dime.

They're also great if you're really sick. You still have a low premium but have pay a grip up front for deductible, but once that's over they kick in mad loot for the big time bills that bankrupt others.

They usually have a HSA attached too where you can put pre-tax dollars in to reduce what you owe and that money carries over 100% unlike a FSA.

Anybody have a recent baby bill from GEHA standard? It’s about $38 more per pay period for BCBS Basic Self + One.

Ive got GEHA standard and my wife is 8 months pregnant so I’ll try to remember to report back after the birth, but so far we have paid nothing and my wife is considered “high risk”due to high blood pressure. So we’ve had extra ultrasounds and even had to see a pediatric cardiologist because the baby was in a weird position and the typical ultrasounds couldn’t get a good view. So far so good but I’ll try to report back after the birth. If I forget just DM in August ha.

Ive got GEHA standard and my wife is 8 months pregnant so I’ll try to remember to report back after the birth, but so far we have paid nothing and my wife is considered “high risk”due to high blood pressure. So we’ve had extra ultrasounds and even had to see a pediatric cardiologist because the baby was in a weird position and the typical ultrasounds couldn’t get a good view. So far so good but I’ll try to report back after the birth. If I forget just DM in August ha.

Appreciate it brother

Don’t know anything about the plan you have but we had a baby last year with BCBS and it ended up in the NICU for a day after my wife needed an emergency C section. Total bill was less than $1000 and that’s for everything from the first appointment at 12 weeks or whatever through the hospital visit.

If you check the brochure and plan information it says you pay nothing for maternity care. It even covers the facility, room and board fees as well with the GEHA standard option.

I have not payed a dime out of pocket for my wife, BCBS standard I believe. Everything has been covered, I think there's some nominal fee for the delivery but I could be wrong.

Last year when my son's was born we had BCBS basic and like other said it's around $200. However he needed to be put on the tanning bed for a few days for jaundice and that raised it another 500 or so. Just be aware that if the baby has to be treated for anything at all they treat him as a separate patient meaning you have to pay the hospital fees per day and all the other fees associated. We switched to GEHA elevate plus this year and our kids check ups are cheaper than they would've been with BCBS, plus GEHA allows you to complete different task to get $500 per person for up to two people on a FSA card. That along with the free unlimited teledoc visits is what sold us on leaving BCBS.

Appreciate it brother

As promised, I return with information. My son was born in late June via induction and spent 7 days in the NICU due to breathing complications. My wife was discharged about a day and half after the birth. Both are happy and healthy now.

We have GEHA standard and our bill prior to insurance was $29,000 for the NICU stay. As of today (6 weeks later), insurance and the hospital finally sorted things out and we owe ZERO. We did receive a letter from GEHA saying they reviewed my sons NICU case and determined it to be necessary, which is laughable in and of itself, but hey whatever. Hope this helps you or anyone else looking for info!

Back
Top Bottom