Class D Up/Downs?

sizziano

Trusted Contributor
Not sure if this is the right forum so I apologize in advance. Been researching the most recent reserved terminal facilities and noticed that BFL, BIS and RST are listed as "3-Combination Radar Approach Control and Tower with Radar" yet they are all just class D on sectionals. How does this work exactly? The rest of the listed Up/Downs on the list are either TRSAs or class C.

If you're wondering how that works and are new to this, outside of the D's is E airspace where radar controls into non towered airports typically.

They're not exactly uncommon, there's quite a few around the country. It's just a normal approach control, except a lot of pilots won't call approach when they go into the airport, they'll just call tower.

They're not exactly uncommon, there's quite a few around the country. It's just a normal approach control, except a lot of pilots won't call approach when they go into the airport, they'll just call tower.

Yup makes sense now. I was thinking about it from a pilots (VFR) perspective and I would never have known these places had approach controls.

Back
Top Bottom