DVA

tink

So who is a DVA expert? Or has a facility that actually uses them?
I am being told #1: that a DVA heading can only be issued to a pilot when on the ground before takeoff. Once airborne additional headings can be issued in the DVA. Or #2: if going missed, after they pass the threshold.
Fine, I understand #2.

Why can't a heading in the DVA confines be issued once a pilot is airborne and radar identified, after takeoff? If not originally given a heading on the ground?

Last edited:
#1: that a DVA heading can only be issued to a pilot when on the ground before takeoff
So assume that you issued the heading 150 on the ground; They check on to Departure heading 150. Are you being told that you can't issue another heading until they reach the MVA?

So assume that you issued the heading 150 on the ground; They check on to Departure heading 150. Are you being told that you can't issue another heading until they reach the MVA?

No, sorry I didn't clarify that. If issued a heading on the ground, they can then be given other headings once airborne.

But if that's the case, what is really different about issuing other headings once airborne, if they were flying a DP?
What does the DVA exist for then?

I do get that DP's are TERP'd, but isn't also a DVA?

The way my facility does it, if the plane is on a DVA heading you can issue any heading within the DVA. Yes, it needs to be issued on the ground. For missed approaches, I believe most of the towers wait until they are above the MVA, I know some towers do it below the MVA.

Anyone who cares: I got clarification from my PPS, and I was correct. Once the aircraft is airborne and radar identified we can indeed issue a turn in the DVA. There are conditions to be met, but once they are met, vector your heart out.

Back
Top Bottom