Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

When I flew through ELP a couple years ago, I called ground for Flight following and taxi. They switched me to clearance. Is clearance normally split or just had too many people that day?
And what transitions are there for arrivals other than the downtown transition? Approach asked what transition I wanted and I said downtown because I heard another pilot request it.

During normal operations from 7a to 8p local all positions are open so we advise all aircraft to contact Clearance for squawk and to taxi with ground. Outside of those hours all positions will typically be combined to tower. There are two arrival transitions for vfr aircraft coming from the west one is through downtown which is south of high terrain just west of ELP and the other is the north Transition north of the terrain, which is referred as the “Gap” for Anthony's Gap.

Last edited:
I got an ELP question for you....I heard that you have Clearance open, and then combine Ground to Local?

It’s more common for us to combine ground and local when we’re low on staffing for shifts and we’ll have CD open.
Has anyone ever told controllers there how backwards that is? I'd love to dig back into the ELP history and figure out why that happens when everyone else combines CD/GC and leaves LC split off.

Has anyone ever told controllers there how backwards that is? I'd love to dig back into the ELP history and figure out why that happens when everyone else combines CD/GC and leaves LC split off.

My understanding/experience is It’s easier to manage the flow of traffic and you don’t need to coordinate RWY crossings. Another thing, as a local controller you’re looking out the window anyways opposed to reading a clearance. That’s my understanding. That is definitely interesting to hear that other places do it differently.

Depends on the layout of the tower cab too. I've been to a couple others that do this, especially in larger cabs with all the data stuff in the back

Back
Top Bottom