ERR from Center to Tower

LimaRomeo

I’ve been certified in 2 ARTCCs, but since before I got hired, I’ve wanted to work the tower. I am considering putting in paperwork to transfer to a tower, but I’m not sure of my odds getting picked up at a higher level facility (10-12). I know there’s no harm in trying, just want to keep my expectations realistic. So my question is; has anybody successfully transferred from a center to a busy tower without first working a smaller tower? If so, I’d like to talk to you about what that was like.

I’ve been certified in 2 ARTCCs, but since before I got hired, I’ve wanted to work the tower. I am considering putting in paperwork to transfer to a tower, but I’m not sure of my odds getting picked up at a higher level facility (10-12). I know there’s no harm in trying, just want to keep my expectations realistic. So my question is; has anybody successfully transferred from a center to a busy tower without first working a smaller tower? If so, I’d like to talk to you about what that was like.
"Successfully transferring" is largely a numbers game now. Depends on the places you're trying to go to and leave from. Speaking to someone about the transition to be successful in training after you've successfully transferred certainly makes sense but that doesn't seem like the question you're asking if I'm reading it right.

"Successfully transferring" is largely a numbers game now. Depends on the places you're trying to go to and leave from. Speaking to someone about the transition to be successful in training after you've successfully transferred certainly makes sense but that doesn't seem like the question you're asking if I'm reading it right.
Yeah, if someone has transferred from a center to a level 10+ tower, I would love to hear from them. But my understanding is that 10+ towers don’t take center folk without tower experience. More wondering if there is any truth to that.

Yeah, if someone has transferred from a center to a level 10+ tower, I would love to hear from them. But my understanding is that 10+ towers don’t take center folk without tower experience. More wondering if there is any truth to that.
Untrue. Facilities can not not take someone under NCEPT. They can only rank. And the NCEPT selection history is available on KSN if you'd like to see exactly which centers sent bodies to which towers since inception 2nd quarter FY16

Untrue. Facilities can not not take someone under NCEPT. They can only rank. And the NCEPT selection history is available on KSN if you'd like to see exactly which centers sent bodies to which towers since inception 2nd quarter FY16
Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the great info. Now to try to remember how to get into KSN from an FAA computer...

Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the great info. Now to try to remember how to get into KSN from an FAA computer...

ksn2.faa.gov

The networking program is still alive and well, especially with large towers hogging the higher spots on the priority list when they are able to select. All of the big towers have selected from 5, 6, and 7s ( and no they weren’t forced to by NCEPT, with the exception of LAX/ATL maybe). Figure out where you wanna go and make it happen!

I would much rather pick up an individual from a Center than a level 5 vfr Tower controllers. Almost nothing they learned at the vfr Tower will transfer to a high level Tower, besides taxiing and clearing someone to land. No IFR experience, air carriers, flight plan routing and issues etc. Just my 2c.

Conversely, is it reasonably possible for someone at a level 6 or 7 UP/DOWN to switch to a center ?
Thank you!

ksn2.faa.gov

The networking program is still alive and well, especially with large towers hogging the higher spots on the priority list when they are able to select. All of the big towers have selected from 5, 6, and 7s ( and no they weren’t forced to by NCEPT, with the exception of LAX/ATL maybe). Figure out where you wanna go and make it happen!

I would much rather pick up an individual from a Center than a level 5 vfr Tower controllers. Almost nothing they learned at the vfr Tower will transfer to a high level Tower, besides taxiing and clearing someone to land. No IFR experience, air carriers, flight plan routing and issues etc. Just my 2c.
Just playing devil's advocate but almost nothing learned at the center will help in a high level tower either.

Pre-ncept it was almost impossible to go from Center to high level tower unless of course you knew someone. Lower levels would take you and you'd need to get your cto and some experience then move up. Now they're forced to take you, so that's good for you. Tower to Center way easier regardless of levels, probably helps to have some radar experience but not required, but again, ncept basically makes them take you.

No facility is forced to take anyone. The receiving facility's manager can rank a candidate as " insufficient experience." By doing this, it essentially removes said person from considering.

The first year or so of NCEPT, the insufficient experience thing would be ignored, however, since the June panel of 2017, it is being utilized.

No facility is forced to take anyone. The receiving facility's manager can rank a candidate as " insufficient experience." By doing this, it essentially removes said person from considering.

The first year or so of NCEPT, the insufficient experience thing would be ignored, however, since the June panel of 2017, it is being utilized.
Oh I totally forgot about that you're right

Conversely, is it reasonably possible for someone at a level 6 or 7 UP/DOWN to switch to a center ?
Thank you!
Yes, I'm at a 7 up/down and going to a center. Again you can look at the history on KSN to see many other specific examples. However the process has changed significantly so there are trends you may notice throughout the history that certainly no longer apply. It really depends on the place you're trying to go. Each facility may consider different aspects of your file more or less desirable.

Just playing devil's advocate but almost nothing learned at the center will help in a high level tower either.

I agree that there will be a lot of useless knowledge brought with you but the helpful things that come to mind are understandings of flow programs, swap routes, IFR Rules (some new ones they will have to learn of course), FDIO use beyond P times and flight following, coordination with adjacent sectors and facilities, point outs (radar 0rocedures), airspace and boundaries, rnav sids and stars, better understanding of aircraft routing airways, MVAs etc.

I’m not saying a vfr Tower controller isn’t going to be able to apply their knowledge to a big facility etc. I just think the above is more difficult to teach than catching the Center guy up to the taxi, takeoff and landing phraseology and techniques.

I think an updown would be ideal for big towers to pull from. You learn both sides and how towers and tracons interact and what works. Understanding of IFR departure procedures instead of just calling the overlying tracon for the one and one out release where the tower has no IFR separation responsibilities.

I agree 100%. I have no idea what’s in Chapter 3 because it doesn’t apply to me. I think the only thing center experience shows is that you can work some degree of “busy” traffic.

Back
Top Bottom