FAA Facility Realignment and Consolidation

So those facilities would become a consolidated TRACON? What do their radar CIs add up to?
Last yearish I added the Tracon half of the CIs from all the absorbed facilities and added them to AZO and it was right at the bottom of a 9 up/down but I was told it doesn't actually translate 1 for 1 and it was forecasted to be an 8 up/down. That was also old data, atleast 12 months ago.

Last yearish I added the Tracon half of the CIs from all the absorbed facilities and added them to AZO and it was right at the bottom of a 9 up/down but I was told it doesn't actually translate 1 for 1 and it was forecasted to be an 8 up/down. That was also old data, atleast 12 months ago.

It’s true that the conversion is not close to 1 for 1, a low level overflight through Michigan which was a separate opp for all those facilities will now only count as one for example. AZO will probably be a very low level 8. There is a huge range within the 7-8-9 bands, takes a huge increase to jump a band. And most people don’t realize just how slow a level 5 up/down is on radar, it adds very little to CI, no wonder why they are being erridicated.

They're saying it should be an 8. One 7, two 6s, and three 5s. West area works AZO tower, AZO, MKG, and GRR TRACON. East area works FNT, MBS, LAN, and GRR TRACON.

Two 6's?

Anyhow, I have heard several people express interest in transferring to the new super tracon when it's complete.

low level overflight through Michigan which was a separate opp for all those facilities will now only count as one
Bingo. Their overflight count will take a huge hit.
In 2018, their (AZO, MKG, MBS, LAN, GRR, FNT ) TRACONs' IFR/VFR Itinerant combined count was 264,521. Their IFR/VFR Overflight combined count was 138,479.
So roughly half of all their operations is driven by overflights.

Consolidations are a lovely thing, some good ones are listed here, I feel bad for those at Rochester MN and the couple other places who missed out.

Thanks, y'all. Here is this year's update.

Years 4 & 5 - Submitted for implementation in 2019 and cutover in 2021.
1. Realign Reading (RDG) TRACON to Harrisburg (MDT). Also considered realigning RDG into Allentown (ABE) but that option was dropped.
2. Realign Bakersfield (BFL) TRACON to Fresno (FAT). Also considered realigning BFL into Santa Barbara (SBA) but that option was dropped.
3. Realign Waterloo (ALO) TRACON to Des Moines (DSM). Also considered realigning ALO into Cedar Rapids (CID) but that option was dropped.
4. Realign Binghamton (BGM) and Elmira (ELM) TRACONs to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP). Also considered realigning BGM into Syracuse (SYR) and ELM into BGM, SYR, or Rochester (ROC) but those options were dropped.
5. Realign Terre Haute (HUF) TRACON to Indianapolis (IND). Also considered realigning HUF into Champaign (CMI) but that option was dropped.
6. Rochester (RST) was considered for realignment to M98 or ALO but will remain as an up/down.
7. Clarksburg (CKB) was considered for realignment to PIT or CRW but will remain as an up/down.
8. Huntington (HTS) was considered for realignment to CRW or CVG but will remain as an up/down.

Attachments

• FAA Sec 804 Report Part 4&5.pdf
    547 KB · Views: 128
Where is that information at? I've looked and can't find it.
Look at the results, I don’t think it’s stated anywhere that specific but it’s part of the FAA Reform Act of 2012 which is a law, and all the planned ones happen despite government shut downs, sometimes people bitching, and whatever other obstacles.

Thanks, y'all. Here is this year's update.

Years 4 & 5 - Submitted for implementation in 2019 and cutover in 2021.
1. Realign Reading (RDG) TRACON to Harrisburg (MDT). Also considered realigning RDG into Allentown (ABE) but that option was dropped.
2. Realign Bakersfield (BFL) TRACON to Fresno (FAT). Also considered realigning BFL into Santa Barbara (SBA) but that option was dropped.
3. Realign Waterloo (ALO) TRACON to Des Moines (DSM). Also considered realigning ALO into Cedar Rapids (CID) but that option was dropped.
4. Realign Binghamton (BGM) and Elmira (ELM) TRACONs to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP). Also considered realigning BGM into Syracuse (SYR) and ELM into BGM, SYR, or Rochester (ROC) but those options were dropped.
5. Realign Terre Haute (HUF) TRACON to Indianapolis (IND). Also considered realigning HUF into Champaign (CMI) but that option was dropped.
6. Rochester (RST) was considered for realignment to M98 or ALO but will remain as an up/down.
7. Clarksburg (CKB) was considered for realignment to PIT or CRW but will remain as an up/down.
8. Huntington (HTS) was considered for realignment to CRW or CVG but will remain as an up/down.
Anyone have a timeline for these happening?

Back
Top Bottom