FAA waiting process

Is anyone else also discouraged due to how much waiting is involved in this process? I got my TOL in January and I am still waiting for my FOL.
3 years 2 months and 13 days... thats how long I waited with a TOL 9 years ago. That was decently standard, but had a lot to do with gov shut downs ect.

If you're already discouraged, I got bad news. You may be in for a lot more of it. I'm at a center with a training backlog and everybody basically waits well over a year for D school at this point, sometimes more.

The "worst" part of this job is heavily biased toward the front end of it, imho. The academy is stressful and training/learning the job takes time and effort. We just have to take our lumps.

If you're already discouraged, I got bad news. You may be in for a lot more of it. I'm at a center with a training backlog and everybody basically waits well over a year for D school at this point, sometimes more.

The "worst" part of this job is heavily biased toward the front end of it, imho. The academy is stressful and training/learning the job takes time and effort. We just have to take our lumps.
Are those people being paid the 1st year’s salary until they can get into training?

Are those people being paid the 1st year’s salary until they can get into training?
You get AG pay after the academy until you get your first set of D-sides at a center and get D1. It took me nearly 3 years to get D1 due to training delays, shut downs, covid, and an unfortunate incident where I had to use FMLA for a month. It sucks, but thems the rules.

I spent 3 years waiting to get hired from usn to faa. Then I spent about 18 months waiting from the time the bid closed to entering my first facility. Then I spent countless hours waiting for c172s to fly 50 mile arcs via their own nav. then I was selected for err (waited 5 years) and I’m currently waiting on my one year release to go wait to train at a new facility

The TLDR my friend is that if you don’t like waiting you might hate working for the government.

You get AG pay after the academy until you get your first set of D-sides at a center and get D1. It took me nearly 3 years to get D1 due to training delays, shut downs, covid, and an unfortunate incident where I had to use FMLA for a month. It sucks, but thems the rules.
Would you happen to know if the FAA matches federal employees pay from a different agency?

Wow! I’m going through the Tier 2 process but it doesn’t sound worth it to leave my pay for that and get stuck at that salary band for so long.

Would you happen to know if the FAA matches federal employees pay from a different agency?
They do do save pay, I transferred from DOD (non-controller) to FAA and kept my GS-11 equivalency. Instead of AG pay out of the academy, I received D2.

They do do save pay, I transferred from DOD (non-controller) to FAA and kept my GS-11 equivalency. Instead of AG pay out of the academy, I received D2.
Wow that’s amazing. I’m following in your foot steps. I am currently working for DOD gs 11 step 3. So it is great they do that. Hopefully I get step 4 before the transfer!

Did that apply during academy training as well or only after completion of training?

Wow that’s amazing. I’m following in your foot steps. I am currently working for DOD gs 11 step 3. So it is great they do that. Hopefully I get step 4 before the transfer!

Did that apply during academy training as well or only after completion of training?
It doesn’t necessarily mean you will make the same pay. You will just go to the lowest band above ag whether it be d1 d2 or d3

Gotta complete the academy. If you make it through, they make sure your pay is transferred over and adjusted for locality and any other pay incentives attached to whatever facility you’re going to go

Is anyone else also discouraged due to how much waiting is involved in this process? I got my TOL in January and I am still waiting for my FOL.
I got my tentative offer in Oct 2020. Granted I've had to go through Tier 2, but I still don't have an FOL so buckle up

I got my tentative offer in Oct 2020. Granted I've had to go through Tier 2, but I still don't have an FOL so buckle up
How did you become aware that you were tier 2 if you don’t mind me asking? I assume I passed my mmpi because I haven’t got any news back on that but what do I know.

How did you become aware that you were tier 2 if you don’t mind me asking? I assume I passed my mmpi because I haven’t got any news back on that but what do I know.
If you passed the MMPI you should be good. I think only past history could make you go tier 2 now. Mine was the MMPI. I think I answered too many questions "in between" without clear direction so it flagged me

If you passed the MMPI you should be good. I think only past history could make you go tier 2 now. Mine was the MMPI. I think I answered too many questions "in between" without clear direction so it flagged me
How long did it take for you to find out that you were tier 2? I haven’t got any word back about that so I am assuming I’m good on that.

Back
Top Bottom