Facilities with reduced hours

ZappBand69

Hello everybody,

Anyone on here heard anything about facility hours returning to normal (for those facilities affected)?

I'm not really sure why my facility reduced hours anyway, our traffic hasn't been affected much by the virus. I'm just ready to get back to normal and make more than my base salary.

Thanks

It will be up to your facility to decide when the reduced staffing scheduling is not justified any longer. Many have come out of the reduced staffing already. Many have gone from 5/10 to 5/5 already. So your FacRep/management are still on the reduced staffing bandwagon. Enjoy it while you can, I’ll take 5/5 over differentials any day.

I just realized you said reduced hours and not staffing. Your management might be able to make a case with the higher ups, but I have a strong suspicion these will be made permanent in a lot of cases. (Though they weren’t supposed to)

Last edited:
Hello everybody,

Anyone on here heard anything about facility hours returning to normal (for those facilities affected)?

I'm not really sure why my facility reduced hours anyway, our traffic hasn't been affected much by the virus. I'm just ready to get back to normal and make more than my base salary.

Thanks

enjoy the reduced staffing schedule, probably one of the only favors you’ll get...

Last edited:
This is actually a good question because there is probably slightly more that will go into it. It may be a simple phone call to flight service or whoever but someone needs to get the notams cancelled that says there are reduced hours.

Those towers are currently being divided up between Serco, Midwest and Raytheon, the companies will determine the new hours based on their traffic studies and how many people they decide to hire.......No....no they’re not lol. At least I don’t know that they are but could you imagine? At least lots of people would get to transfer out.

Thanks for the responses. I am taking advantage of the extra time off, like hopefully everyone else is. I love where I live and want to finish out my FAA career here, which has a ways to go. I just want my facility to remain FAA and get back to normal.

If my facility's reduced hours became permanent, well, what a nice work schedule that would be. But we would be overstaffed for the shorter hours! What would happen to everyone that wants to stay? I am also one of the rare controllers that does care about the users, and it is unfortunate if we continue to reduce services to the public. Our local flyers are super pissed that we have cut hours.

My facility went from 5/10 to 5/5 last pay period and I’ve been off the last five days and haven’t really talked to anybody from work - but I’m curious if anyone else here has heard anything about possibly going back to 5/10 (or whatever you were doing initially) again with talk of coronavirus cases are spiking again? Obviously I haven’t heard anything via email or from national but has there been talk of it at your facilities? Or do you think it will depend on if traffic severely drops off again. Ours is starting to come back a little bit and projected to be about 50% of normal by end of July/August and then maybe slowly continuing to recover from there but just curious what was going on with everyone else.

My facility went from 5/10 to 5/5 last pay period and I’ve been off the last five days and haven’t really talked to anybody from work - but I’m curious if anyone else here has heard anything about possibly going back to 5/10 (or whatever you were doing initially) again with talk of coronavirus cases are spiking again? Obviously I haven’t heard anything via email or from national but has there been talk of it at your facilities? Or do you think it will depend on if traffic severely drops off again. Ours is starting to come back a little bit and projected to be about 50% of normal by end of July/August and then maybe slowly continuing to recover from there but just curious what was going on with everyone else.
On a recent telcon natca said we need to staff for the traffic. If it dies off again and you can justify a 5/10 again, absolutely try and negotiate it with management. And any attempt from management to come off these schedules should also be data/traffic driven.

Billy Bob and his 172 are the reason many of us even have a Job! This is just a tough situation. On one hand we have to be safe at work. On the other hand, us negotiating more leave and reduced hours is likely to bite us in the ass in the future ("we don't really need this many people at work", or we don't need to work these hours") . Remember the facility closure list during the sequester? Just wait until next time!

Back
Top Bottom