Facility Downgrades / Upgrades

Question for y’all.

My facility just upgraded from a 5 to a 6. I’m currently D3, but due to where I am in training I should drop to D2. However, with the 6% upgrade raise, it puts me over the max of the D2 band. However, the D2 max is still a pay raise, but not 6%.

My question is, would I drop to the D2 band? Also, if I stay D3 does that mean I won’t get the appropriate 6% raise when I certify in the position that would’ve put me in D3 from D2?

I hope all this makes sense. I tried wording it in a way that explains everything in a simple way.

Question for y’all.

My facility just upgraded from a 5 to a 6. I’m currently D3, but due to where I am in training I should drop to D2. However, with the 6% upgrade raise, it puts me over the max of the D2 band. However, the D2 max is still a pay raise, but not 6%.

My question is, would I drop to the D2 band? Also, if I stay D3 does that mean I won’t get the appropriate 6% raise when I certify in the position that would’ve put me in D3 from D2?

I hope all this makes sense. I tried wording it in a way that explains everything in a simple way.
We just upgraded from a 5 to a 6 where I’m at, and the outcome for our trainees made absolutely zero sense to most of us. However, it was ran through both NATCA and HR, and we were all told the same thing.
Upgrade has zero effect on our AG’s and D3’s that are training. Meaning, we have two AG’s that would be D2 now with the upgrade. However, they will remain AG’s and not receive any upgrade to the D2 payband. They will only see D3 when they certify on 75% of positions. And for those already on D3, they will see zero adjustment to their pay as well. All will move into the level 6 payband upon CPC.
This makes zero since to us, but again, it was ran through both NATCA and HR with the same outcome.

We just upgraded from a 5 to a 6 where I’m at, and the outcome for our trainees made absolutely zero sense to most of us. However, it was ran through both NATCA and HR, and we were all told the same thing.
Upgrade has zero effect on our AG’s and D3’s that are training. Meaning, we have two AG’s that would be D2 now with the upgrade. However, they will remain AG’s and not receive any upgrade to the D2 payband. They will only see D3 when they certify on 75% of positions. And for those already on D3, they will see zero adjustment to their pay as well. All will move into the level 6 payband upon CPC.
This makes zero since to us, but again, it was ran through both NATCA and HR with the same outcome.
From my personal interactions concerning pay bands and transfers, if you're a lower level facility then NATCA gives approximately zero shits and will let HR/management do whatever they want; up to and including pigeonholing grievances for 6 months in the hopes the grievance will just magically go away.

What? You are D3. You get paid D3.
Right. Finished tower in January. Got the upgrade and 6% pay raise to D3. However, now that we’re a 6, completing tower only gets you to D2 and when you get CI you get D3. So what I’m asking is, since I don’t have CI/75% of training completed, will that drop me to D2? I’d still be getting a pay raise, but it’d be to the top of the D2 band.

Question for y’all.

Article 108 of the contract details pay. Appendix B of the contract shows training progression. Appendix C of the contract shows the current base pay scale.

Are you tower, approach, up/down? I’m gonna assume that you are up/down lvl 5 now getting bumped to lvl 6. You were previously lvl 5 D3 (FD+50% of positions) but now you’re lvl 6 D2 (FD+33% of positions.) Under this scenario:

- Yes, your current lvl 5 D3 base pay (51,826) drops to lvl 6 D2 but you keep pay.
- Once you reach FD+66% you should progress to lvl 6 D3 (56,266).
- Once you certify you should progress to FPL-6 (62,291).
- Each one of these progressions is 5-6K over what they would have been at lvl 5.
- Just my 2 cents.

Right. Finished tower in January. Got the upgrade and 6% pay raise to D3. However, now that we’re a 6, completing tower only gets you to D2 and when you get CI you get D3. So what I’m asking is, since I don’t have CI/75% of training completed, will that drop me to D2? I’d still be getting a pay raise, but it’d be to the top of the D2 band.
That's not how any of this works. You can't be demoted pay grades. If you're D3, that's it, end of story. Pay grade and Training grade are separate. And just because it's now a 6, doesn't necessarily mean there will be a D2 for the fac. I don't know the specifics of how that is handled, but even if the facility went to a D2/3 progression, and for some reason your training grade was modified to D2, it has nothing to do with pay.

edit: In fact, you would want to be classified as D2, because then when you progressed to D3 you would get a 6% raise.

Last edited:
Someone at my facility was saying there was talk of making MSP/M98 an up down? Any truth to that?
Can’t speculate on that, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they think it will save them a pay level. One 10 instead of two 9s. Good luck as they don’t get along like most split facilities. They probably hope for a split radar room with tower working departures and radar working all tracon.

Someone at my facility was saying there was talk of making MSP/M98 an up down? Any truth to that?
Lol we asked MSP about that when we were downgraded and they said no chance. So nah... besides based on how they work ground and local they couldn't certify in the tracon anyway. Never knew point out approved was such a complex concept

Lol we asked MSP about that when we were downgraded and they said no chance. So nah... besides based on how they work ground and local they couldn't certify in the tracon anyway. Never knew point out approved was such a complex concept

The book does say we provide service on a first come first served basis. I'm not going to delay a king air for 10 minutes just to put him out behind all the jets. I'm sorry M98 doesn't want to work hard but if I need to... I'll grab my headset and come downstairs and show you guys how it's done.

Back
Top Bottom