FacRep Info

Shikaka

Legendary Member
So my FacRep doesnt really do much, at all, I was kind of wondering what exactly would be the duties of a FacRep. More in line with what would a good one be doing for their facility and so on? How much extra bs do they deal with and so on?

Sounds like it might be worth a try, 100% honest I'm currently on the fence of either leaving the union or becoming the facrep. The current one actively says he will give it to anyone, hence how little he cares.

How would I go about taking the class?

So my FacRep doesnt really do much, at all, I was kind of wondering what exactly would be the duties of a FacRep. More in line with what would a good one be doing for their facility and so on? How much extra bs do they deal with and so on?
Simply put, the FacRep is supposed to hold MGMT to the CBA and ensure all the processes outlined in the CBA are followed correctly.
The FacRep is not your get out of jail free card.
The FacRep should make decisions that are best for the facility and not necessarily individual employees.
Regarding grievances, most people don't understand that If a grievance loses, it could set a negative precedent. That's why only home runs make it to MGMT's desk. Also, collaboration and problem solving should come first. If there's a contract violation, there's no need to go straight to a grievance. You're supposed to try and work it out with MGMT first.

As far as B.S.,
It's a pretty thankless job. Most employees have the attitude of "what have you done for me lately" and play armchair FacRep lol. There are always going to be people complaining about even the most beneficial changes.
As Phillyman said, it's very important for other employees in your facility to get involved.

If you don't have a rep for something then you are that rep. So if there's no LSC volunteer, Professional Standards Rep, Alcohol Rep, Training Rep, etc., then it becomes the responsibility of the FacRep. It's very important the FacRep can delegate these duties and even more important for membership to step up. If someone is voluntold to do something, then they're probably going to be shitty at that position. Being a dues paying member is the bare minimum you can do. Getting involved is what makes the union and your facility stronger.

If you're interested in getting more involved, ask your FacRep what you can help with. Pretty soon you might be more useful than they are by the sound of it haha.

Do it, become a facrep. I became one in Jan for my fac and it has been a ton of work but you'll have your RVP and ARVP plus everyone in the region to help you learn, especially pre FacRep training. Be transparent, honest and hold everyone accountable especially yourself. Once you think of the facility as your facility you become a better FacRep IMHO. There will be a lot of tough choices you will have to make and you can't make everyone happy. Just try to stick to the CBA and best judgement as much as possible and dont make any promises until you have all the facts and have done your homework.

Back
Top Bottom