Medical Flight Surgeon Medical Reporting

If it makes you unable to do your job or if your prescribed something that you can’t work on
What would happen if either of those were the case? He would be forced to use sick time I assume, but what happens if he runs out?
I’m still in the preemployment process but I’m curious how this would go down

Last edited:
What would happen if either of those were the case? He would be forced to use sick time I assume, but what happens if he runs?

Yes to sick time or admin duty if available and run to where?

What would happen if either of those were the case? He would be forced to use sick time I assume, but what happens if he runs out?
Then your disqualified till the flight surgeon is happy. Medicine has a time you have to be off till you can go back. Conditions are up to the fkight surgeon.

I mean, when you go to your medical you have to list all doctor visits for the last 3 years, and there are docs in ERs.

If you go to ER and they prescribe some meds or light duty or whatever, then you need to call your FacRep who can liaison with mgmt. and determine if you need to be off duty for a minute or whatever, and you'd use sick or admin. If your chief is cool then you'll be on admin...you come to work, get paid and maybe "update some pubs".

If there's no meds and no restrictions to work (can't walk up flight of stairs to tower for a week, etc.), then you probably don't need to call your facility at all. Just include the visit on your 8500-8 when you do your next scheduled medical exam. If they find out later that you had the visit and you didn't report at exam...well, they get pissed.

If one wants to be super serious, I think you have to report to mgmt. every medicine you ever take. Just call the supe every time you take an Advil for pain or something even at 2 am and be like, "Just following the rules!" That damn Nyquil takes you down for 4 days or something.

Also, don't give more information than they ask for. Don't elaborate, don't articulate; just answer in the affirmative or negative with honesty and enough factual information to satisfy. I saw a guy get DQd for almost a year and almost lose job for volunteering some dumb shit like, "Sometimes I see double, derp.".

I mean, when you go to your medical you have to list all doctor visits for the last 3 years, and there are docs in ERs.

If you go to ER and they prescribe some meds or light duty or whatever, then you need to call your FacRep who can liaison with mgmt. and determine if you need to be off duty for a minute or whatever, and you'd use sick or admin. If your chief is cool then you'll be on admin...you come to work, get paid and maybe "update some pubs".

If there's no meds and no restrictions to work (can't walk up flight of stairs to tower for a week, etc.), then you probably don't need to call your facility at all. Just include the visit on your 8500-8 when you do your next scheduled medical exam. If they find out later that you had the visit and you didn't report at exam...well, they get pissed.

If one wants to be super serious, I think you have to report to mgmt. every medicine you ever take. Just call the supe every time you take an Advil for pain or something even at 2 am and be like, "Just following the rules!" That damn Nyquil takes you down for 4 days or something.

Also, don't give more information than they ask for. Don't elaborate, don't articulate; just answer in the affirmative or negative with honesty and enough factual information to satisfy. I saw a guy get DQd for almost a year and almost lose job for volunteering some dumb shit like, "Sometimes I see double, derp.".
lol “I had a beer 7 hours and 59 minutes ago!”

I can’t tell if you are serious, don’t ever tell management. Just call the flight surgeon direct, if you are DQed they will contact facility management and tell them for how long but not why. I don’t know why your union rep needs to be involved. Especially since we are required to report if we are taking anything to find out if we are able to work. Hardly any of us do for DayQuil or whatever.

To answer the question, going to the ER doesn’t always DQ you. You break an arm but no needed pain meds, good to go, as an example. If you are prescribed something, ask the surgeon if you take it how long will you be DQed. If it’s not worth it, don’t take it and you are good to go. The report the ER visit at your next physical.

I can’t tell if you are serious, don’t ever tell management. Just call the flight surgeon direct, if you are DQed they will contact facility management and tell them for how long but not why. I don’t know why your union rep needs to be involved. Especially since we are required to report if we are taking anything to find out if we are able to work. Hardly any of us do for DayQuil or whatever.

To answer the question, going to the ER doesn’t always DQ you. You break an arm but no needed pain meds, good to go, as an example. If you are prescribed something, ask the surgeon if you take it how long will you be DQed. If it’s not worth it, don’t take it and you are good to go. The report the ER visit at your next physical.

Worth noting that if you report to the FS that you were prescribed something for whatever reason. Depending on what it is for they'll DQ you even if you don't fill the prescription.

Best bet is to just call AMAS first and see where you stand. I learned this the hard way and have been battling the FS for years now. I lose my medical every year for about a month and a half. The underlying condition is completely waiveable but it fluctuates so I have to jump through multiple hoops each year to get my medical back.

Had I just called AMAS before calling the FS I would've taken 2 days off work and never talked to the FS again.

I'm in the Northwest Mountain Region if anyone needs some advice not sure about other regions.

Last edited:
Worth noting that if you report to the FS that you were prescribed something for whatever reason. Depending on what it is for they'll DQ you even if you don't fill the prescription.

Best bet is to just call AMAS first and see where you stand. I learned this the hard way and have been battling the FS for years now. I lose my medical every year for about a month and a half. The underlying condition is completely waiveable but it fluctuates so I have to jump through multiple hoops each year to get my medical back.

Had I just called AMAS before calling the FS I would've taken 2 days off work and never talked to the FS again.

I'm in the Northwest Mountain Region if anyone needs some advice not sure about other regions.
I honestly don’t know what region I’m in but it’s west coast and I got prescribed something that would disqualify you and called to ask about it and that I wouldn’t take it if it DQd me and they said it would and that was it. Told them I wouldn’t take it and nothing happened.

I honestly don’t know what region I’m in but it’s west coast and I got prescribed something that would disqualify you and called to ask about it and that I wouldn’t take it if it DQd me and they said it would and that was it. Told them I wouldn’t take it and nothing happened.

this is my experience as well. maybe its because we say if we take this what would happen, rather than we were prescribed it and if it take it? either way, my experience they want to get off the phone just as quickly as you.

Is there a way to access the list of medication down times? Like for NyQuil and other over the counter meds

Back
Top Bottom