FLM effect on seniority

jmgoebel

FAA
Facility
NCT NorCal Tracon
Kind of a story...

I took a sup bid at my first smaller facility about six years ago. Long story short, I hated it and quit immediately. Obviously, I didn’t do my due diligence and accepted the seniority consequences of my actions. Fast forward to six years later and the official national union list has my seniority at just losing the sup time. So my question is, is there a way I can figure out what the actual bid says. How can I tell if my job was permanent or temporary? I assumed it was permanent, perhaps I was wrong. Maybe I’ve just been screwing myself for six years. Any help is appreciated.

Don’t you loose all the time and reset to 0 for perminant? That’s what happened to miltiple guys in my building.

Last edited:
Deleted my post which was apparently wrong. Can someone source it ?

I know an individual who dropped down three spots in seniority after a temp gig lol. That’s rough.

If I am understanding the OP they only lost the actual sup time in seniority. If that is the case I’m not sure what you are asking for, sounds like you made out like a bandit if your bid was permanent.

If the only other option is losing all seniority time, better not like the bear.....

How would you be screwing yourself?

I know an individual who dropped down three spots in seniority after a temp gig lol. That’s rough.

If I am understanding the OP they only lost the actual sup time in seniority. If that is the case I’m not sure what you are asking for, sounds

like you made out like a bandit if your bid was permanent.

If the only other option is losing all seniority time, better not like the bear.....

How would you be screwing yourself?

It’s actually the opposite of this. I came to my new facility and reported the reset date voluntarily. I wanted to do the right thing. Then a few years later they do a seniority audit for the building and the NATCA date is years more than I’ve been going with. Now I’m not actually sure what type of bid I did. What I’m asking is how do I find out? One of these dates is wrong. And you know the area isn’t going to let me jump five years without proof. I’m just looking for the definitive answer so I can know one way or the other.

the FLM going to 0 seniority rule is excessively punitive and a remnant of a bygone era (the white book). Its very bad for the career field.

Tenure - Block 24
On your SF-50, look for Block 24 named “Tenure”. You may see a 0, 1, 2, 3 or asterisk.

• A 0 indicates that you may be in the Senior Executive Service or appointed by the President subject to Senate confirmation. You may also be in a group that is not defined in The Guide to Data Standards.
  • A 1 indicates that you’re a permanent, career employee and have completed three years of service.
  • A 2 indicates that you’re a career-conditional employee. You’re in a permanent position, but you haven’t completed three years of service yet and may still be in your probation period.
  • A 3 indicates that may be on a temporary or term appointment.
  • An asterisk indicates that you were appointed through a specific hiring authority that deviates from the above.

I'm still trying to find answers on this, but maybe someone here knows this answer. Does the national list for seniority already account for this? Does the FAA already know to reset the cumulative bargaining unit time to zero for permanent positions, or does someone have to manually change that?

Is this “national seniority list” on the NATCA website? Last time i checked seniority was when we used Unionware, which may have been a few years back.

I’m not a rep so I don’t have access to it, but it’s whatever source the union uses to keep track of this stuff. They get data from the FAA reference bargaining unit time etc... Which would make sense so someone can’t just show up at a new facility and make up whatever date they want.

Back
Top Bottom