From Enroute to Tower/APCH?

OKbusyB

Trusted Contributor
Genuinely curious, if you’ve transferred from Enroute to Tower/APCH or vice versa, what was your experience like? Would you do it again all things considered? Was it worth the raise/cut in pay with a greater/smaller workload?

Prior to starting with the FAA, I was tower only in the Air Force. Then I spent 20 years in the FAA at Memphis Center and Houston Center.

Two years ago I swapped to Corpus Christi, an up/down level 9. I knew learning the equipment would be tough, but I thought the traffic would be a breeze.

I was wrong. The equipment was sooo different that it distracted me from working my traffic. I also thought the volume of material to memorize to be very challenging.

I made it through training fine, but it was definitely a lot more challenging than I thought it was going to be. I chalk a lot of it up to my age. I was 48 when I made the switch. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Level 11 center to level 11 TRACON. Centers just better no doubt. Equipment is better. Airspace is better. Traffic is better. Tracon is fun but it’s the same shit everyday, more so then the center (at least in my opinion) a lot more variety of stuff in the center.. not to mention STARS is archaic and I still have no idea how to put stuff in. I just sorta pound on that stupid ABC keyboard till something works.. bound to get a code right eventually... then the stars wizards say “man it’s easy why do you forget it everytime, it’s Multi Func, space, splat, type, space, back slash, splat splat, slew enter” and I go “oh man, yeah, that’s right, makes complete sense” *rolling my eyes and mumbling how f’in stupid stars is*...

Level 11 center to level 11 TRACON. Centers just better no doubt. Equipment is better. Airspace is better. Traffic is better. Tracon is fun but it’s the same shit everyday, more so then the center (at least in my opinion) a lot more variety of stuff in the center.. not to mention STARS is archaic and I still have no idea how to put stuff in. I just sorta pound on that stupid ABC keyboard till something works.. bound to get a code right eventually... then the stars wizards say “man it’s easy why do you forget it everytime, it’s Multi Func, space, splat, type, space, back slash, splat splat, slew enter” and I go “oh man, yeah, that’s right, makes complete sense” *rolling my eyes and mumbling how f’in stupid stars is*...
Tell us how you really feel haha

It is definitely personal preference for which you like more: enroute, tracon, tower.... I'd even throw in VFR tower and up/down too because everything is a little different. I have only ever worked at a tracon so STARS and ABC is all I know work wise. I have no issues with either and consider myself proficient on both. In my mind a VFR tower seems chaotic and unstructured (or dead and boring), high level tower seems ridiculously boring as ground is typically the hardest position and local is only saying cleared for takeoff cleared to land, enroute seems like memorizing a huge map and then asking how the ride is. Overgeneralized stereotypes? Probably but from my FAM trips, FDT and OJF thats how it seems to me.

I've done both. Running a busy final is more rewarding than asking about rides. Tracon all day. Centers have better toys though.

Looks like it’s time to head back to the center... ?

Looks like it’s time to head back to the center... ?
Sean-John how’s that warm Jacksonville weather treating ya?! Missin them cold ZMP winter days yet? I know I don’t miss them, but Detroit isn’t much better ?
I've done both. Running a busy final is more rewarding than asking about rides. Tracon all day. Centers have better toys though.
very true, final is definitely the best position.
Tell us how you really feel haha
The STARs struggle is real ?

BAS92 though in all honesty both are fun and both are quite different. As for traffic and controlling is one harder/easier then the other, I don’t think so.. both are their own different beasts. You won’t know till you give it a go!

Sean-John how’s that warm Jacksonville weather treating ya?! Missin them cold ZMP winter days yet? I know I don’t miss them, but Detroit isn’t much better ?
I know it isn't aimed at me but at least you get covered parking now... man do I miss that! And free vacation parking.

HenryTheAce Appreciate it! I’m still training at the center, but just wanted to get people’s opinions on things! Got plenty of time to think of random things when we’re rotting away waiting to go down almost 50 COVID points now ?

Sean-John how’s that warm Jacksonville weather treating ya?! Missin them cold ZMP winter days yet? I know I don’t

very true, final is definitely the best position.

The STARs struggle is real ?

BAS92 though in all honesty both are fun and both are quite different. As for traffic and controlling is one harder/easier then the other, I don’t think so.. both are their own different beasts. You won’t know till you give it a go!
Bro it’s way too cold down here. Like I had to put on a light jacket to play golf this morning..... total crap.

Back
Top Bottom