Hired after 31

I started the FAA when I was 33, the one big negative is the seniority to age ratio to where you will probably have bad days off for most of your career. I make the best of it and don't really have too many complaints.

I was 31 at the academy and between the government shutdown and Covid training stoppages it took about 4 years to check out. I just turned 36 and I only have 1 year experience as a CPC. The biggest concern for me is the fact that I most likely won’t have 3 years at the top of the pay band before retirement unless I bid a Supe job, which doesn’t particularly interest me. Also my seniority will always be mediocre since I’m several years older than a decent amount of the people ahead of me.

I was 31 at the academy and between the government shutdown and Covid training stoppages it took about 4 years to check out. I just turned 36 and I only have 1 year experience as a CPC. The biggest concern for me is the fact that I most likely won’t have 3 years at the top of the pay band before retirement unless I bid a Supe job, which doesn’t particularly interest me. Also my seniority will always be mediocre since I’m several years older than a decent amount of the people ahead of me.
Can you go into detail on 3 years at the top of pay? If you’re CPC, isn’t that the top of the pay band? How does not making the 3 years top change anything?

At the end of your career i.e. 56... you may need to take a desk job to satisfy 25 years for added retirement benefits or get a waiver.

Can you go into detail on 3 years at the top of pay? If you’re CPC, isn’t that the top of the pay band? How does not making the 3 years top change anything?
No being just a CPC is not top of pay band. Other factors like time as CPC and other things. Top 3 years is how they calculate your retirement benefits. High 3 would be striving for a level 12 facility. Base pay is calculated only. I.e its referred to as "HIGH THREE".

Curious, how long does it typically take to reach the top of the CPC pay band if you stay at the same location and don't hop somewhere higher, then come back with the save pay?

Historically the older people start the more often they wash out.
The FAA did a study I think in 2012 maybe earlier and found that it didn't matter military, cti, off the street, the only solid evidence they could find that correlated with success is the younger the controller the more likely they would become a CPC. It kind of makes sense and I've seen it where young controllers can adapt better and understand a new set of rules and a new "language" (phraseology) better then someone whose older and set in their ways, obviously not true for everyone.

The FAA did a study I think in 2012 maybe earlier and found that it didn't matter military, cti, off the street, the only solid evidence they could find that correlated with success is the younger the controller the more likely they would become a CPC. It kind of makes sense and I've seen it where young controllers can adapt better and understand a new set of rules and a new "language" (phraseology) better then someone whose older and set in their ways, obviously not true for everyone.
This makes sense. ATC is basically a video game and you see a lot more young kids are good at video games than adults. I'll take a 12 year old trainee who's cracked at fortnite over the the 40 yr old that can barely work an iPhone any day of the week.

This makes sense. ATC is basically a video game and you see a lot more young kids are good at video games than adults. I'll take a 12 year old trainee who's cracked at fortnite over the the 40 yr old that can barely work an iPhone any day of the week.
It has little to do with video games. It has more to do with younger brains being quicker to adapt, learn, and understand/implement new concepts. As we age our brains slow down and things like decision making and thinking on our feet take longer... hence mandatory retirement at 56.

Back
Top Bottom