Housing after Academy before starting new facility.

jollyrogercjf

Lurker
So much has been posted on what happens at the Academy, and I can't thank you enough. I haven't really heard too much in the way of what happens after classes are over but before you actually make it to your facility. I am pretty much planning for the worst which would be having to move right when I get out, is this the case? Is there assistance if you do have to move? How much time are you afforded to find housing especially if you have to travel cross country? I'd appreciate any info, thank you.

So much has been posted on what happens at the Academy, and I can't thank you enough. I haven't really heard too much in the way of what happens after classes are over but before you actually make it to your facility. I am pretty much planning for the worst which would be having to move right when I get out, is this the case? Is there assistance if you do have to move? How much time are you afforded to find housing especially if you have to travel cross country? I'd appreciate any info, thank you.
You get the number of travel days listed on the page here for whatever facility you go to, and up to 64 hours of change of station leave when you get there

1. Each facility is granted X amount of travel days to get to your facility after the academy. You can find how many days per facility in Appendix G in the slate book located on page 288 (EDIT: Appendix G is only for people who drove to the academy, if you flew, you are given 1 travel day). You can download the slate book here...
NATCA - Slate Book

2. In addition to the travel day(s), each person is granted 64 hours (8 working days) of change of station leave.
Article 29
Section 4. Up to sixty-four (64) hours of excused absence, as requested by
the employee, shall be granted for arrangements incident to a change in the
employee's official post of duty, including initial assignments, and upon
completion of initial qualifications training, regardless of whether or not
the residence is being relocated.

3. In addition to the travel days and 8 days of change of station, you also earn 4 hours of sick leave and annual leave every pay period while at the academy. Add in another 24 to 32 hours depending on if you're terminal or enroute.

Between travel days, 8 change of station days, and 3-4 days of annual leave, you have the potential to take upwards of 3 weeks to get to your first facility.

I'd highly advise anyone to get in contact with your facility to let them know your intentions and contact the FacRep who can point you in the right direction on where to look for apartments/housing etc.

Last edited:
If you fly I believe it is one travel day after academy. Do they still try and end classes on a Thursday? End Thursday, travel Friday, and report Monday.

If you fly I believe it is one travel day after academy. Do they still try and end classes on a Thursday? End Thursday, travel Friday, and report Monday.
Looking at the tower schedules online, they don't do PAs around a weekend. So start PAs (they take 3 days) on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday....students pick their facility the day after finishing PAs...so they can leave OKC on Thursday, Friday, or Monday. I'm sure holidays throw a wrench into it though.

At one point in time didn't it depend if you drove or flew to the Academy?

If you fly I believe it is one travel day after academy.
You're both correct. Article 29 Section 5
Section 5. Terminal/En Route Academy Graduates
a. Upon graduation from initial training at the Mike Monroney
Aeronautical Center, terminal and en route employees shall be
provided with the following options:

(1) The employees will be provided an airline ticket and given
one (1) day of travel before reporting to the facility to which
assigned. This is the authorized method of travel for purposes
of applying for reimbursement under the FAATP; or

(2) The employees may elect to travel via a privately owned
vehicle (POV). The employees will be granted excused
absence up to the number of days indicated in Appendix G, for
travel to the facility to which assigned. Excused absence is not
granted for regular days off (RDO).

You get 1 day if you're flying, or 1 day per 8 hrs of driving from OKC if you're driving. You also get change of station leave that is only good for the first 2 years at your facility which you can use for any move-related activity.

Back
Top Bottom