How soon before AI & automation replace ARTCC controller functions?

They tried with IBM Watson in a simulation.... it started crashing aircraft.

Furthermore, why would they go fully automated? More efficient... ofcourse. However, accountability is a lot harder with a machine.

If a person messes up they can be blamed/fired. Do you fire a machine? No.

If something goes wrong do you shut down the airspace until it's verified to be FMC? Because if it did have an error the public would demand it be taken down until fixed. Yet the expectation to continue operation would be there.

The risk vs reward is too great still. Plus AI is nowhere near capable of what you think it is.

I don't think pilots would ever feel comfortable with automated ATC. The planes fly themselves for a majority of the time yet pilots still make more than controllers (at the big airlines, anyway). As soon as a pilot hits an uncomfortable situation they turn off the autopilot. Thats a sign enough for me right there.

Just for the record not all center airspace is hi and bye or oceanic. Setting up initial sequencing and space into major airports or working all the ultra low airspace that is not controlled by tracons takes more human input than one would think. I used to think center controllers didn’t sequence much or work multiple conflicting approaches until I transferred to one. AI and automation could likely do most of the job but I don’t think it could do it all especially with emergencies and other external factors

We have a controller that transferred from a center that worked a oceanic sector to a up down. I've seen them ask what color runway lights are after 10+ years in the agency and supposed military time.

Between knowing that said person was certified at that center, plus a supe according to them for a period of time, then getting an extention on ground here..... What I saw on local and other questions asked..... I would whole hardly believe that a monkey/ 10 year old/ mentality challenged could work an oceanic sector in an ARTCC.

Ive lost all faith in flying because of this person yet I still book trips. I just avoid their shifts.

Ok, that’s like saying a guy spent 10 years in a tower and then went to center and the idiot didn’t know how to use ERAM. Coming from a center to a tower (or vice versa) the only advantage you’d have over a fresh academy grad is that you’ve talked on the radio before. I’ve spent 11 years in RAPCON/TRACON and have never even seen runway lights before.

sorry Danky boy, i no hear u no more. thank jesus!

View attachment 2704

Aw, I’m sorry you’re not willing to deal with disagreement. I didn’t realize you were so sensitive.

Meanwhile they're trying to make remote towers so I dont even have to put pants on for work anymore..
Hopefully this will be one of the next steps in the 804 consolidation process. Make every level 4 and 5 tower a remote tower run out of Leesburg. Make that place a “center” for towers, you need to check out on 8 or so per area and the facility is a level 10. Let the old controllers in the old towers go to where there is not 100% projected staffing, that would help staffing across the board.

Ok, that’s like saying a guy spent 10 years in a tower and then went to center and the idiot didn’t know how to use ERAM. Coming from a center to a tower (or vice versa) the only advantage you’d have over a fresh academy grad is that you’ve talked on the radio before. I’ve spent 11 years in RAPCON/TRACON and have never even seen runway lights before.

Airport light colors were on your basic .65/ATC exam... From seeing some of your posts I know that you are intelligent. That being said can you with a straight face tell us that you DONT know what color runway lights are?

Additionally a better example would be someone spending 10 years in a vfr tower, transfers to a tracon and doesn't know where headings come from.... That person would be considered a retard.

So... What color are runway lights?

White or pink blue and purple depending on what runway you're talking about.

th

th

Airport light colors were on your basic .65/ATC exam... From seeing some of your posts I know that you are intelligent. That being said can you with a straight face tell us that you DONT know what color runway lights are?

Additionally a better example would be someone spending 10 years in a vfr tower, transfers to a tracon and doesn't know where headings come from.... That person would be considered a retard.

I didn’t go through Basics and it sure wasn’t covered in RTF or TSEW. In the Air Force I was a straight radar route, no tower training. If it was in any tests I took in AF ATC Fundamentals I forgot it the next day. So no, if it wasn’t for the fact that I fly, I would have no idea what color runway lights are.

Its not stuck mic yet but its heading that direction.
That's because stuckmic is dead and they all moved over here because this site was much more resourceful and has tons of information. Unfortunately with that all of the dumb shit moved over here too.

That's because stuckmic is dead and they all moved over here because this site was much more resourceful and has tons of information. Unfortunately with that all of the dumb shit moved over here too.

Its not stuck mic yet but its heading that direction.

Add in that people never read previous posts.... fucking ever.

I know they change like 5 times depending on where you are in the runway. And they have some lights built into the ground and some are white and some are red. And I think I’ve ever seen some green ones here and there.

Back
Top Bottom