Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

External Links​

A/FD

Local Area​

External Links​

Hi! Anyone have any info about living and working in MIA? Husband is trying to get back to FL so considering all options. TIA!

Cost of living is really high compared to the rest of the state.
In terms of the operation, although it is technically considered a 12 up/down, there are two tracks. Last I checked it was...
Track 1 - Tower and 3 scopes
Track 2 - TRACON only

Where you get placed is subject to their needs and your experience level.

I was told today (granted this is in regards to Miami Center but theyre in the same place) that most controllers live in Fort Lauderdale or north and just deal with the traffic. Some live in the Keys but the traffic is worse coming from the south.

Cost of living is really high compared to the rest of the state.
In terms of the operation, although it is technically considered a 12 up/down, there are two tracks. Last I checked it was...
Track 1 - Tower and 3 scopes
Track 2 - TRACON only

Where you get placed is subject to their needs and your experience level.

If selected for track 2, can you ever move to track 1 to get up in the tower?

If selected for track 2, can you ever move to track 1 to get up in the tower?
Without direct knowledge of their operation, I doubt they would take a CPC and spend the resources to voluntarily place them back into training. Outside looking in, the only way would be through a staffing imbalance between the two tracks where Article 46 is invoked. Volunteers would then be solicited. Given the difficulty and higher washout rate downstairs, I'd imagine if that scenario ever existed it would be to pull people from Track 1 to Track 2.

At MIA they separate you into A-side or B-side. A-side does the tower and half of the 14 sectors in the TRACON. The training times for A-side take about 3 years on average while B-side takes roughly 1.5-2 years. There are a small handful of people who are certified in the tower and all of the TRACON.

At MIA they separate you into A-side or B-side. A-side does the tower and half of the 14 sectors in the TRACON. The training times for A-side take about 3 years on average while B-side takes roughly 1.5-2 years. There are a small handful of people who are certified in the tower and all of the TRACON.

how did they get to check out in tower and all of TRACON? is coming in with tower only experience more likely to get you A-Side or does it make no difference?

how did they get to check out in tower and all of TRACON? is coming in with tower only experience more likely to get you A-Side or does it make no difference?
I'm not sure how they managed to get dual certified but it's definitely a rare situation. Usually management will try and put people with more Radar experience in the TRACON and people with tower only experience as A-side but we've had people come with no Radar experience and they requested TRACON only and it was approved.

Where does everyone live at in Miami to afford it? Also, does the lack of state income tax really make up for anything?

Back
Top Bottom