Military Spouse

jlopez13

Looking to see who's in this situation or has been through it. My husband is an Army Pilot and I got accepted into the FAA. Just want to see who's experienced this and willing to share. I know it'll be very hard but we are both dedicated to our careers and would like to see if anyone has had to deal with this. Thanks for all the help!

It's not 9-5. Just so we're all on the same page here ?
Yes, of course. Haha I've been working 5 years as ATC with all the crazy schedules. Guess what I'm trying to see is if anyone was able to handle this type of life. It seems impossible at times and I want to make the best decision I can.

Last edited:
Starting to sound about right, unfortunately.
Yup... But it's hard. I was army myself. Even if you were to get a facility close to him what would stop him from coming down on orders? Is he planning on getting out soon?

If he is getting out soon then keep up with the faa gig but if his plan is to make a career out of the military that's gonna be REALLY hard.

Yup... But it's hard. I was army myself. Even if you were to get a facility close to him what would stop him from coming down on orders? Is he planning on getting out soon?

If he is getting out soon then keep up with the faa gig but if his plan is to make a career out of the military that's gonna be REALLY hard.
His plan is to retire and he still has about 13 years left. From what we've gathered, Army is willing to keep him long term on post if he does another contract. But it all comes down to having the stars align, basically. Never trusted the military to keep it's word and I'm sure the FAA works the same way. Needs of the military/FAA.

His plan is to retire and he still has about 13 years left. From what we've gathered, Army is willing to keep him long term on post if he does another contract. But it all comes down to having the stars align, basically. Never trusted the military to keep it's word and I'm sure the FAA works the same way. Needs of the military/FAA.

I would never trust the military... Period.

I talked to my HR poc and facility rep and they both said that they could get you near your spouse’s assignment. Not sure how it would work after initial placement though. I know some of you may say that’s bull but that’s what I’ve been told.

The FAA is tied with the military for spoon feeding Controllers lies... Don't believe them.

Me and my wife are military and I’m starting the academy in July so that’s why i asked around.
Some good news! I'm thinking it depends on how much the facility wants to help you out. Thanks a lot for this. You ok with me DMing? I think you were in the same bid as me.

Where did you get picked up, where are you now, and how long has he been stationed there already?
I applied and got picked up for the OTS 2018 bid. He's currently in Fort Rucker, AL for about 2 years and then getting orders. The way we see it, we will use those 2 years to be apart for training and then try to link back up after he gets orders and hopefully, I'm done with training.

Yes, of course. Haha I've been working 5 years as ATC with all the crazy schedules. Guess what I'm trying to see is if anyone was able to handle this type of life. It seems impossible at times and I want to make the best decision I can.
Why don’t you try to get a DOD job on the base he works at?

It’s really hard to answer this. You have no idea where you’ll be in 2 years and neither does he. If you were to go somewhere with multiple FAA facilities and an army base with his type aircraft there, you MAY be able to eke out 11 years there together.

I don’t know how the army personnel system works, but the faa doesn’t transfer people unless they want to.

Got any kids? With disabilities? I don’t need the answer, but if you did, the military may give you an assignment where there’s a large hospital nearby. San Antonio, New Jersey, etc

It’s really hard to answer this. You have no idea where you’ll be in 2 years and neither does he. If you were to go somewhere with multiple FAA facilities and an army base with his type aircraft there, you MAY be able to eke out 11 years there together.

I don’t know how the army personnel system works, but the faa doesn’t transfer people unless they want to.

Got any kids? With disabilities? I don’t need the answer, but if you did, the military may give you an assignment where there’s a large hospital nearby. San Antonio, New Jersey, etc
Yes, I've definitely considered all those obstacles. I feel like saying we will link up after 2 years is the most positive spin I can put in this situation. It's rare to see FAA and military pairings and I think there's a good reason for that. Both jobs demand full dedication and sacrifice.

Why don’t you try to get a DOD job on the base he works at?
That's easier said than done. Haha

HR will tell you plenty right now but they don’t know. You get a list of options at the end of the Academy and picking is based on class rank. The odds of your list and you being able to pick a facility that is near where your husband winds up getting stationed are slim at best. I’m not saying this to try and discourage you, but it is the reality. Your spouse being active military does not count as a hardship in the eyes of the FAA, especially since he was military before you got hired.

Are you enroute or terminal? You’ll have a better chance if you’re terminal simply because of number game. There’s only something like 17 enroute facilities throughout the country and Guam/puerto Rico.

I'm currently doing this now. Been in agency 10 months. Wife is ATC stationed at NAS Kingsville,TX and I'm in San Diego (SEE). I work a ton of credit and go home 1-2x a month. It does suck but I treat it as a deployment. Do what I gotta, work a ton and take classes for SD BAH. Trying to get to CRP eventually or DOD back to my old command at NGP, whichever picks me up first. Hopefully CPC rehire will still be around when she's up for transfer or separation if we go that route.

I talked to my HR poc and facility rep and they both said that they could get you near your spouse’s assignment. Not sure how it would work after initial placement though. I know some of you may say that’s bull but that’s what I’ve been told.

Me and my wife are military and I’m starting the academy in July so that’s why i asked around.
Only priority placement I'm aware of that a new-hire gets is if their spouse is a current FAA controller at a facility. In that case, you would be guaranteed to have a specific facility reserved for you upon successful completion of the academy.

Prepare to be thousands of miles away.

I mean there’s zero chance of that since we are AGR and she can just go DSG like me if absolutely necessary but thanks for being positive!
Just trying to prepare you for the reality of it instead of thinking ZSE is going to save a spot for you.

I'm currently doing this now. Been in agency 10 months. Wife is ATC stationed at NAS Kingsville,TX and I'm in San Diego (SEE). I work a ton of credit and go home 1-2x a month. It does suck but I treat it as a deployment. Do what I gotta, work a ton and take classes for SD BAH. Trying to get to CRP eventually or DOD back to my old command at NGP, whichever picks me up first. Hopefully CPC rehire will still be around when she's up for transfer or separation if we go that route.
Definitely how I would look at it too. I worked at NKX! So I got to talk to you guys a few times for point outs haha I really hope everything works out for you. I'd go DOD route but they require radar quals where he is at currently and I don't have those yet.

Back
Top Bottom