NATCA

I am newly hired and starting at my facility in November, will I learn about NATCA when I get there?
Your union rep should be one of the first few people you talk to when you get to your facility. How much learning you get besides "here sign this and we won't wash you out" is up to your rep. Just joking. Kind of.

In all seriousness, we do a lot of bitching about the union on here but in general they are a positive influence on most facilities and do a lot of good for the workforce. I encourage everyone to join and I know very few controllers who aren't members, and i like to think it's not totally groupthink why we all stick around.

Your union rep should be one of the first few people you talk to when you get to your facility. How much learning you get besides "here sign this and we won't wash you out" is up to your rep. Just joking. Kind of.

In all seriousness, we do a lot of bitching about the union on here but in general they are a positive influence on most facilities and do a lot of good for the workforce. I encourage everyone to join and I know very few controllers who aren't members, and i like to think it's not totally groupthink why we all stick around.
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Seems like some of the biggest union critics on here come from centers which I find interesting because that’s literally where all the power in the union comes from. How many RVPs do we have that didn’t go through a center? 2? And one of those is from a large tracon.

Seems like some of the biggest union critics on here come from centers which I find interesting because that’s literally where all the power in the union comes from. How many RVPs do we have that didn’t go through a center? 2? And one of those is from a large tracon.
I’ve noticed the same with management at larger facilities. Even towers seem to prioritize center hires for Sup/OM/ATM positions.

You should be angry about every minute of training delay endured under normal ops. Be mad at the media and media consumers and politicians about the shutdown. Be mad at the Agency and SAIC about delays due to resources and incompetence and indifference. But bitching about NATCA because of covid delays is just ignorant tunnel vision. You’re not the only plane in the sky, sir.

Could just be it’s less personal in larger facilities. I’ve seen my facrep a total of 2 times since we were brought back off EA. Maybe it’s different at a tower when you bump into the guy every other day.

Could just be it’s less personal in larger facilities. I’ve seen my facrep a total of 2 times since we were brought back off EA. Maybe it’s different at a tower when you bump into the guy every other day.
While true to some extent the effort to connect to the workforce at your center isn’t there by the FacRep it seems. I’m going to guess that they barely stay current, if at all? Plenty of time to keep up with co workers IMO.

Good points. But isn’t this what, in theory, an area rep is for? Not really sure how that works in the real world since I’ve not had to deal with that hierarchy.

Back
Top Bottom