Nepotism

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PushingTin

Why is there so much of it in ATC? I used to be shocked every time I found out someone's connection. Now I have reached acceptance that its extraordinarily prevalent. Even more so than corrupt inner city police and fire departments. My theory is peoples general ignorance on becoming air traffic controller's gives those w insider knowledge an edge; but the backroom politics is still the main reason. The absolute power of ATMs in their little fiefdoms, coupled with very influential union leaders at the top end.

OKC Academy getting much harder again in the last several years has weeded a lot out though. I have seen many whose parents bragged everyday about how they pulled strings and then months later like... "Meh, he washed and living back in my basement". I never like seeing anyone fail.

It is a problem, from the hiring process to transfers and even in NATCA. I can't count the number of times I have seen someone certify and then 3 months later somehow end up at the top of a highly desirable facility ranking list and go to that Level 11 their Dad works at with their 3 months CPC experience at a Level 5 Up/Down. And it's too bad but it is a "collaborative" thing.

Nepotism is easier to recognize, but like mentioned above, if its just someone bringing in all their homies you don't have any concrete way to stop it.

Why does it have to be good ol boy and not good ol girl? Why do I have to be left out?
Pretty sure that's just the phrasing applied to people using connections for people they know over pure meritocracy. "Good ol person network" just doesn't have the same ring. Also, it's a pretty negative thing, so the fact it's male associated in this instance could be a positive from your point of view

People bring in all their homies at every job ever for the history of jobs.

I know this, and sometimes its not even a bad thing if the people are good but that usually isn't how it works.

I don't think its as bad now as it used to be. The hiring being taken out of the hands of the ATM's is a good ting. Sooo many sup's that were in good with the ATM's would have their kids hand picked by their ATM buddy to work in their facility and then got babied through training. A lot of that has gone away despite the continuance of the good ol'boy system today. Personally, I think the good l'boy system does have some benefits in that if somebody is a piece of shit controller that is a terrible teammate in their area/facility, that reputation should precede them everywhere they go. Thats part of the consequences of being a selfish coworker and human.

I don't think its as bad now as it used to be. The hiring being taken out of the hands of the ATM's is a good ting. Sooo many sup's that were in good with the ATM's would have their kids hand picked by their ATM buddy to work in their facility and then got babied through training. A lot of that has gone away despite the continuance of the good ol'boy system today. Personally, I think the good l'boy system does have some benefits in that if somebody is a piece of shit controller that is a terrible teammate in their area/facility, that reputation should precede them everywhere they go. Thats part of the consequences of being a selfish coworker and human.
I'm totally okay with people's reputation preceding them. That's actually a good thing about this small career field IMHO. I think the number of people who end up in kush spots because of the good Ole boy network (on both the FAA and NATCA side mind you) over someone who is equally or more qualified because of it far outweighs the benefit of avoiding the relatively small number of absolute fuck heads being shunned though.

As someone who takes pride in not being a management bootlicker, nor a rah rah union guy who is here to work and not play politics to get ahead, it can be frustrating.

That said I ended up where I want to be at this point in my life politics and ncept be damned, so I guess I can't complain too much.

I've always felt like I would want to blaze my own trail from my father. I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to ride his coattails tbh. I arrived at ATC on my own through my own merits and checked out at many facilities on my own merits. INCESTUOUS facilities are bound to have birth defects in their operations.

giphy.gif

So is nepotism basically gone at this point? After years of suggesting ATC to my sister, she's finally considering it, but by the next open bid (under June 2020 assumption) she'll be 30 and doubtful she'd be at OKC by 31 in March 2021. I've heard tidbits about it back in the day, but have no clue what kind of connections you'd even need. Cozy up to ATM so they can make a few calls to HR? Quit controlling and become HR?

So is nepotism basically gone at this point? After years of suggesting ATC to my sister, she's finally considering it, but by the next open bid (under June 2020 assumption) she'll be 30 and doubtful she'd be at OKC by 31 in March 2021. I've heard tidbits about it back in the day, but have no clue what kind of connections you'd even need. Cozy up to ATM so they can make a few calls to HR? Quit controlling and become HR?
my understanding is that the bid has to close before their 31st bday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom