OJT question

exercisefaith

I’m in local training at a tower it’s my first week so I’ve made a few mistakes and my supe makes nonstop comments more than my trainer does. Is this normal? Many times she’s telling me better ways to do things while I need to talk to more airplanes and it’s getting to the point where it’s quite distracting and causing more errors or slow downs. I’d much rather receive a debrief afterwards to fix these mistakes/preferences. Often times because I still have traffic I’m not even listening to her while keeping the picture of my traffic and just nod and say ok and it’s just awkward. The other crew trains completely different where they will wait until it’s dead or debrief completely afterwards. What should I do?

I’m in local training at a tower it’s my first week so I’ve made a few mistakes and my supe makes nonstop comments more than my trainer does. Is this normal? Many times she’s telling me better ways to do things while I need to talk to more airplanes and it’s getting to the point where it’s quite distracting and causing more errors or slow downs. I’d much rather receive a debrief afterwards to fix these mistakes/preferences. Often times because I still have traffic I’m not even listening to her while keeping the picture of my traffic and just nod and say ok and it’s just awkward. The other crew trains completely different where they will wait until it’s dead or debrief completely afterwards. What should I do?
Voice your concerns to your FACREP and start cluing him/her on what is going on, this is YOUR training and being successful is paramount. If you feel ballsy (not my recommendation if you are on probation), politely explain your point of view to the Sup and kindly remind them that you have an OJTI instructor for a reason, that you are bound to mess up and that the OJTI is responsible for correcting your mistakes. The last thing you want is for this to go down the path of "Well I have been watching him and he absolutely sucks" or "needs to see busier traffic." You do not want to fail check rides and go to a TRB because of a supervisors preconceived notions when MOST just man the desk denying leave.

If it is any comfort almost every Sup I worked for (sorry for one in particular, promise it is not personal) could not work or barely (with 2 other controllers watching them) work traffic.

Voice your concerns to your FACREP and start cluing him/her on what is going on, this is YOUR training and being successful is paramount. If you feel ballsy (not my recommendation if you are on probation), politely explain your point of view to the Sup and kindly remind them that you have an OJTI instructor for a reason, that you are bound to mess up and that the OJTI is responsible for correcting your mistakes. The last thing you want is for this to go down the path of "Well I have been watching him and he absolutely sucks" or "needs to see busier traffic." You do not want to fail check rides and go to a TRB because of a supervisors preconceived notions. when half just man the desk denying leave.

If it is any comfort almost every Sup I worked for (sorry for one in particular, promise it is not personal) could not work or barely (with 2 other controllers watching them) work traffic.
Tread lightly with gc’s ballsy move bc this same supe will be the one that gives you a check ride lol

Tread lightly with gc’s ballsy move bc this same supe will be the one that gives you a check ride lol
I prefaced it with that essentially, perhaps not as black and white but yes, take heed. Some Sup's will respect it and back off while others will (a former ATM comes to mind) take it as a personal crusade to screw you.

We are getting older and as we age my patience for "fuck fuck games" is almost nonexistent.

A sup is part of the training team, if they’re teaching you, that’s honestly more of a positive than a negative. Just roll with it unless it’s hindering your progress, get checked out and then it’s just you and the operation. You’re almost there. No need to ruffle feathers that close to being checked out.

Sounds like your trainer is a cuck. If I was your trainer and the sup was saying shit and making “on the spot corrections” I’d tell him to sit in the fucking back and shut the fuck up… if he doesn’t do shit, go to your training rep, or facrep.

Sounds like your trainer is a cuck. If I was your trainer and the sup was saying shit and making “on the spot corrections” I’d tell him to sit in the fucking back and shut the fuck up… if he doesn’t do shit, go to your training rep, or facrep.
The sup is a “her” not a “him” so you can’t do that or get a EEO filed on you.

Talk to your trainer about it or talk to your FACREP about it so they can address it.

Alternatively, tell your trainer to fucking grow a pair. Your OJTI should have nipped that in the butt from the get-go.

Back
Top Bottom