Opinions on Facilities

People hate the idea of people not even in the academy asking about facilities because it (in their mind) is perceived as arrogant to believe you’ll even make it through the academy.

It’s similar at actual facilities if you buy a home before you’re fully certified. People think it means you’re arrogant or stupid because “there’s no guarantee you’ll make it”.

It’s all just machismo behavior older controllers use to bully new ones because “that’s how we got treated”. It’s different if someone comes in saying “I’m gonna be the best controller here and get fully rated faster than anyone in history”.
I get that. I never thought there was a chance in hell I could land this job and am humbled I’ve even come this far. I’m gonna work my ass off in the academy and if I planned on failing, I wouldn’t go.

So my plan is just do my best to pass and in the mean time, research all my options. I appreciate you

I get that. I never thought there was a chance in hell I could land this job and am humbled I’ve even come this far. I’m gonna work my ass off in the academy and if I planned on failing, I wouldn’t go.

So my plan is just do my best to pass and in the mean time, research all my options. I appreciate you
How dare you pre plan and ask questions about "potential" places. Lol, welcome to the world of working with other controllers. It's kinda like high-school but with more addicts and people who were stuck in school for 20 years all with chips on their shoulders.

People hate the idea of people not even in the academy asking about facilities because it (in their mind) is perceived as arrogant to believe you’ll even make it through the academy.

It’s similar at actual facilities if you buy a home before you’re fully certified. People think it means you’re arrogant or stupid because “there’s no guarantee you’ll make it”.

It’s all just machismo behavior older controllers use to bully new ones because “that’s how we got treated”. It’s different if someone comes in saying “I’m gonna be the best controller here and get fully rated faster than anyone in history”.
I think the hatred of trainees buying houses is outdated at this point especially in places where rent is $3,000 a month for a bedroom and training takes six years

I think the hatred of trainees buying houses is outdated at this point especially in places where rent is $3,000 a month for a bedroom and training takes six years
It’s alive and well where I’ve been. But definitely lessened since COVID/rising costs of everything. But when people are struggling in training, you still hear comments like “guess they shouldn’t have bought that house” or similar.

Lots of wasted time and disappointment if you don’t actually pass. You should probably focus on that.

When you get your list pick the facility you want to spend 10+ years at. It’s really that simple.

And when I get my list, I’d like to have some prior knowledge about a facility I’m spending 10+ years at. Makes sense to me
And none of that matters if you don’t pass lol. You can literally get your list post it here and have all the answers you want in a day.

And none of that matters if you don’t pass lol. You can literally get your list post it here and have all the answers you want in a day.
I’ve got three kids and a wife that I’m gonna pick up and move. And I’m gonna do as much research as I possibly can before I get to the academy. 1) because I have time, and 2) because I don’t want my kids futures being decided “in a day”. So thanks for your two cents, and until I get to the academy I’m gonna keep researching ??

I’ve got three kids and a wife that I’m gonna pick up and move. And I’m gonna do as much research as I possibly can before I get to the academy. 1) because I have time, and 2) because I don’t want my kids futures being decided “in a day”. So thanks for your two cents, and until I get to the academy I’m gonna keep researching ??
Nah dude fuck your family think of my ego

I'm not enroute so I don't have much of an opinion on those type of facilities. Just want to give my two cents.

Before I went to the academy I spent more time than I care to admit just researching different facilities... and this was for terminal. There are how many terminal facilities vs enroute? But then again I could only look through level 4-7. I had a top 5 facility list in my head of places I'd be incredibly lucky to get but I was still realistic and was going to be happy just passing the academy with a job. And you know what? One of my top 5's ended up on my list and I STILL had a hard time deciding where I wanted to go.

If you've got free time right now, it doesn't hurt to look into possible places you could end up in. But when you start the academy, I suggest you put that in the back of your head because none of that matters if you fail. Once you get your list, spend a night or two looking over your options and don't think about it again until you pass. But I also know it's a lot harder when you have a family to think about too.

But anyways, all I really know is that ZLA is in plamdale and I don't think I've heard a single good thing about Palmdale. ZSE is located in a cheaper part of Seattle and I have a couple of coworkers that came from there. I've heard better things of it and if I got enroute that would've probably been my #1 choice but I also don't have a lot of knowledge of other places. Good luck.

I'm not enroute so I don't have much of an opinion on those type of facilities. Just want to give my two cents.

Before I went to the academy I spent more time than I care to admit just researching different facilities... and this was for terminal. There are how many terminal facilities vs enroute? But then again I could only look through level 4-7. I had a top 5 facility list in my head of places I'd be incredibly lucky to get but I was still realistic and was going to be happy just passing the academy with a job. And you know what? One of my top 5's ended up on my list and I STILL had a hard time deciding where I wanted to go.

If you've got free time right now, it doesn't hurt to look into possible places you could end up in. But when you start the academy, I suggest you put that in the back of your head because none of that matters if you fail. Once you get your list, spend a night or two looking over your options and don't think about it again until you pass. But I also know it's a lot harder when you have a family to think about too.

But anyways, all I really know is that ZLA is in plamdale and I don't think I've heard a single good thing about Palmdale. ZSE is located in a cheaper part of Seattle and I have a couple of coworkers that came from there. I've heard better things of it and if I got enroute that would've probably been my #1 choice but I also don't have a lot of knowledge of other places. Good luck.
Haha you did have a hard time, and I was just figuring if I wanted to go to evansville or not.

We’re just trying to help, you have plenty of other things to worry about for now and we’ve all been through this before. There’s no reason real reason to look into facilities until you get your list.
Gonna respectfully disagree with this. You'll be getting your shit pulled out by the 12s when you get your list and evaluating a short week later. May as well have some idea of where you want to go going into it cause it essentially came down to 24 hours in my case. I may have chosen differently had I given it a bit more thought.

I'm trying to decide between the 2026 Porsche 911, Ferrari or Lambo too.
I guess if that was a strong possibility on a list of 24 cars that you were going to get, it wouldn’t be bad to do some research on them ??‍♀️ After all, buying a vehicle is a big commitment.

Back
Top Bottom