Opinions on Facilities

TaylorChoate

Background Academy Student
Between ZSE and ZLA and perhaps ZDV if I get lucky enough.

Pros and cons or any details would be helpful.
Ideally would like to go home to our family in HI if I score a spot at HCF but keeping my options open for obvious reasons. Thanks!

ZLA is in Palmdale (or the Antelope Valley). About 45 minutes north of downtown LA. High desert, so hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Windy most of the time. Decent town with bad areas mostly east of the train tracks. Easy commute to the center most days from most parts of town. The 14 freeway is nuts but drivable most of the time.

Overall a decent place but cost of living has risen as most places. Still can probably find a decent house for a decent price. Lemme know if you select it and I can get you more info!

ZLA is in Palmdale (or the Antelope Valley). About 45 minutes north of downtown LA. High desert, so hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Windy most of the time. Decent town with bad areas mostly east of the train tracks. Easy commute to the center most days from most parts of town. The 14 freeway is nuts but drivable most of the time.

Overall a decent place but cost of living has risen as most places. Still can probably find a decent house for a decent price. Lemme know if you select it and I can get you more info!
About 90 minutes north of Downtown LA. And I drive fast as fuck.

Worry about passing first

And are these places on your list? Or places you are hoping to go? Because if its the latter, I’ve got news for ya…

And are these places on your list? Or places you are hoping to go? Because if its the latter, I’ve got news for ya…
Is it out of the question to gather information about possibilities beforehand? No. Thanks for your insight

I don’t think he even has a class date yet, bizarre to start getting anything other than cursory info from 123atc about facilities yet. Guy could end up terminal or never even getting called.

I don’t think he even has a class date yet, bizarre to start getting anything other than cursory info from 123atc about facilities yet. Guy could end up terminal or never even getting called.
I have enroute class dates so I am gathering info about enroute facilities. Again, thanks for your insight

We’re just trying to help, you have plenty of other things to worry about for now and we’ve all been through this before. There’s no reason real reason to look into facilities until you get your list.
There’s a way to try to help without being pretentious about it though. There’s 0 harm done in looking into facilities. I am fully aware there’s a good chance I could get to the academy and get a list of facilities I didn’t want. And still- 0 harm done in having info about all of the facilities.

There’s a way to try to help without being pretentious about it though. There’s 0 harm done in looking into facilities. I am fully aware there’s a good chance I could get to the academy and get a list of facilities I didn’t want. And still- 0 harm done in having info about all of the facilities.
Do you brother, we’ll see what you get in 3 months

If ZSE and ZLA never make the enroute list and they don’t take AGs, I must’ve missed the memo.
If you’re that intent on gathering information, take 5 minutes to search for the the forum that literally has a thread for every center you could end up at
I’ve already done so. I’ve exhausted that method and have continued my research. I’m confused why you’re so bothered that I’m seeking more updated information or maybe information that isn’t in the forum. Not sure why it’s such an issue.

If ZSE and ZLA never make the enroute list and they don’t take AGs, I must’ve missed the memo.
We just had two of each on a list of 7 lol.

Going to Palmdale next week. All I can tell you so far is the rent is too damn high. There is a user on here named Mr. Tickles who is quite friendly and may entertain your questions about ZLA.

Good luck.

We just had two of each on a list of 7 lol.

Going to Palmdale next week. All I can tell you so far is the rent is too damn high. There is a user on here named Mr. Tickles who is quite friendly and may entertain your questions about ZLA.

Good luck.
Thanks man appreciate it

People hate the idea of people not even in the academy asking about facilities because it (in their mind) is perceived as arrogant to believe you’ll even make it through the academy.

It’s similar at actual facilities if you buy a home before you’re fully certified. People think it means you’re arrogant or stupid because “there’s no guarantee you’ll make it”.

It’s all just machismo behavior older controllers use to bully new ones because “that’s how we got treated”. It’s different if someone comes in saying “I’m gonna be the best controller here and get fully rated faster than anyone in history”.

Back
Top Bottom