OSH Bid

jmgoebel

FAA
Facility
NCT NorCal Tracon
Does anyone know how to bid to work AirVenture? I know it may be cancelled, but until it is, I'd like to try to throw my hat in the ring.

They put out a bid for it. The one for 2021 just closed. It is only open to Great Lakes region Tower rated controllers with a few exceptions.

They put out a bid for it. The one for 2021 just closed. It is only open to Great Lakes region Tower rated controllers with a few exceptions.
It’s Great Lakes only? We had the announcement printed out at the read/initial area of my last facility which was southern region. I thought the only stipulations were based on how many times you’ve done the event? Like you have to have done it so many times in the past X amount of years to work in the tower etc.

Great Lakes gets priority followed by Central Service Area and then only if necessary beyond that. If you’re in the ESA and have worked Sun n Fun you can bid as well.

The bid usually opens for several weeks in January at KoshBid.com, but 2021 opened in November for some reason and is already closed, unfortunately.

People enjoy working the event. Not all that often you get to land 3 planes on the same runway at the same time. Not everyone is allergic to work.
Not allergic to work, wasnt sure if they provided a financial incentive if your spending a week away from family.

Being away for a week is incentive enough. Haha. You get travel and food per diem so you can pocket the difference or just eat/drink well. It’s a big party and a lot of fun, plus very unique way of working airplanes that you can’t do anywhere else. Think standing next to the runway and using look-and-go to wave planes across type stuff.

There’s plenty of interest so not really a need for financial incentive. The key is being able to be released from your facility for 2 weeks in July.

As with any government travel, there’s the money, and there’s the fact you get a paid vacation with the opportunity to network and be away from home.

“sorry babe, have to, it’s work“

It's ATC Summer Camp! Lots of fun, working with people who enjoy working, and then lots of camaraderie that most don't get at their home facilities.

Also, plenty of adult beverages and cool airplanes.

I appreciate the info. I spent my first eight years at Madison tower, so I’m very familiar with the airshow. I know my chances are slim, but it’s free to try, so why not. Now I know where to look. I’m going to bid on the NATCA booth as well.

Get it while you can before Oshkosh goes the way of the Reno Air Races and the controllers get replaced completely by air bosses.

Back
Top Bottom