Previous experience placement

OneBadZeeeee

As far as if the facility accepts new hires, not sure (some of the tracons do and some dont) but it's moot right now as projected staffing is over 100%, so they are not allocated anyone anytime soon.

DAMN! Well I just became eligible for the FAA with the recent law change (was hired DOD at age 33) so I should be picked up with the next opening and I won't be at the "pick facility" phase for a while. I'm older and I can't waste my time at a lvl 5/6/7 facility... and if I could get into P50 I don't think I'd ever leave (I'm from Yuma).

Where can I find out the updated projected staffing? How long have they been over 100%? Is there any way into P50... like a "I know a guy who knows a guy" deal? Thanks.

Where can I find out the updated projected staffing? How long have they been over 100%? Is there any way into P50... like a "I know a guy who knows a guy" deal? Thanks.

All of the staffing info is on this site. Select 'Resources' at the top and look for Terminal Placement List. The Priority Placement List is also helpful.

As an FYI - also as a DoD civilian that has had people leave for the FAA or stay DoD - just be aware the FAA has not been allowing DoD civilians to pick facilities. The DoD civilians I work with, all with 10-25 years combined military/DoD civilian ATC experience, get a list to rack-and-stack like everyone else. The FAA then selects one of those facilities and they have to either take it or leave it. In other words, there are no favors to call in or handshake deals to be made by knowing someone.

I do recommend you apply for the next experienced controller opening, but be prepared to walk away from an offer if you are not willing to leave for a lower level facility.

DAMN! Well I just became eligible for the FAA with the recent law change (was hired DOD at age 33) so I should be picked up with the next opening and I won't be at the "pick facility" phase for a while. I'm older and I can't waste my time at a lvl 5/6/7 facility... and if I could get into P50 I don't think I'd ever leave (I'm from Yuma).

What echster said is spot on.

The majority of prior experience people have been put in levels 4-7. Obviously, it's 'based' on the individuals experience, so if you are from a busy facility, then you have a chance to get higher levels. I have not seen very many people get level 10+ recently though. P50 is an 11, and relatively well staffed, so it is very doubtful, but you never know, things can change. As for the terminal placement list, I do not even see a P50 on it, and the last 'date' on it I see is August 2017, so doesn't look like it will be an option next year either.

PHX tower is on the list though, but not till July 2017.
DVT is your best bet, a level 8, or outside of Arizona.

Thanks guys for your replies. The last 2 guys that left my facility (both DOD civs), and I mean left last week, were offered lvl 12 locations. One got all lvl 6/7/8's until he called a buddy that worked at the 12 facility he wanted and the next day HR offered it to him. Attached is the other ones list.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160906-143538.png
    Screenshot_20160906-143538.png
    739.6 KB · Views: 107
Thanks guys for your replies. The last 2 guys that left my facility (both DOD civs), and I mean left last week, were offered lvl 12 locations. One got all lvl 6/7/8's until he called a buddy that worked at the 12 facility he wanted and the next day HR offered it to him. Attached is the other ones list.

That 's a hell of a list, and a wide range of fac levels. Where did the two guys end up going? What type of experience did they have to warrant such high level facilities?

Agreed!! I told him every day before he left how jealous I was. IDK if I can give you both then somebody can easily peg who the guy is, but we work Patuxent TRACON and all have CTO'S from NHK. I have a CERAP from Yuma as well.

Agreed!! I told him every day before he left how jealous I was. IDK if I can give you both then somebody can easily peg who the guy is, but we work Patuxent TRACON and all have CTO'S from NHK. I have a CERAP from Yuma as well.

No worries, I can appreciate that. I had to Google NHK and it looks like a cluster of airspace. Good luck on the upcoming bid if you haven't been picked up already.

No worries, I can appreciate that. I had to Google NHK and it looks like a cluster of airspace. Good luck on the upcoming bid if you haven't been picked up already.

Thanks. I will get picked up with the next opening, NHK has over 100% hiring percentage for the FAA, 4 guys have already left and one was hired twice (turned them down twice), and there are 3 more of us ready to go with the age changing for experienced hires... so it's safe to say NHK will be hiring soon lol. Just would be nice to get my desired location.

Coming from pax you'd get offered the big three tracons for certain. You already have a good idea what to expect based on those other guys at your fac. look at 8-9 up/downs with bad staffing numbers when your time comes and that should give a rough idea.

Coming from pax you'd get offered the big three tracons for certain. You already have a good idea what to expect based on those other guys at your fac. look at 8-9 up/downs with bad staffing numbers when your time comes and that should give a rough idea.

Heard through the grape vine that they (FAA/NATCA) were eyeing tomorrow for a possible opening. Hopefully that's the case but I geeked out and looked at the last 4 FAA openings and they've all been on a Monday. Thanks for the reply, hopefully my shot starts tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom