Quick tips for Center to up/down transition?

Cancan

Lurker
FAA
Facility
ZBW Boston Center
Hello! I’m looking for any quick tips for where to focus my studies as I transition from a Center to an up/down. I have a bit of time before I make the transfer, so I’m just trying to get a head start before I get there. I’ve only ever worked at a Center so Tower and TRACON controlling is completely new to me. If anyone has ever done this transition I would be interested to hear your advice as well!

Last edited:
Hello! I’m looking for any quick tips for where to focus my studies as I transition from a Center to a lvl 10 up/down. I have a bit of time before I make the transfer, so I’m just trying to get a head start before I get there. I’ve only ever worked at a Center so Tower and TRACON controlling is completely new to me. If anyone has ever done this transition I would be interested to hear your advice as well!
My understanding is STARS is the hardest part of the transition. Maybe do an elms or something to help out with that. Best of luck tho!

Edit:
Didn’t see the up part. Tower is an entirely different environment. I’d approach that as almost a new hire IMO.

Adding onto this…if you can get your hands on one of the training dept. iPads there is a STARS. Practice keyboard app that teaches you how to make basic entries.
I didn’t know that, I’ll look into it!
My understanding is STARS is the hardest part of the transition. Maybe do an elms or something to help out with that. Best of luck tho!

Edit:
Didn’t see the up part. Tower is an entirely different environment. I’d approach that as almost a new hire IMO.
yeah that’s my plan for the tower part, thanks!

I’ve barely even stepped foot in a tower so can’t speak to the tower flow life but was at a center and transferred to a TRACON.

It’s just stars that sort of blows. Everything is weird codes but you get use to it. Fusion is amazing and divergence is too. TRACON is a fun but you’re gonna miss that center equipment 🤣

I’ve barely even stepped foot in a tower so can’t speak to the tower flow life but was at a center and transferred to a TRACON.

It’s just stars that sort of blows. Everything is weird codes but you get use to it. Fusion is amazing and divergence is too. TRACON is a fun but you’re gonna miss that center equipment 🤣
Stars is all I know and I hate it. Tower is fun but its just way different because you can actually see the planes and know they’re not in conflict. (Or they are and you drop your pen and pray 🫣)

Just relax and they will teach you what you need to know. People wash when they are too anxious. But i'm sure you'd know that coming from a center.

Hello! I’m looking for any quick tips for where to focus my studies as I transition from a Center to an up/down. I have a bit of time before I make the transfer, so I’m just trying to get a head start before I get there. I’ve only ever worked at a Center so Tower and TRACON controlling is completely new to me. If anyone has ever done this transition I would be interested to hear your advice as well!
If the airport you’re going to deals with a good amount of GA traffic, get familiar with the most popular GA types. You’ll see them a lot and get a feel for their performance during training. STARS is a simpler system than ERAM, so I don’t think it will take you very long to learn it. Even though tower is new to you, I think you’ll do fine. Getting used to looking out the window versus the radar display will probably be the biggest adjustment. Things look closer on the scope than they do when looking out the window

If the airport you’re going to deals with a good amount of GA traffic, get familiar with the most popular GA types. You’ll see them a lot and get a feel for their performance during training. STARS is a simpler system than ERAM, so I don’t think it will take you very long to learn it. Even though tower is new to you, I think you’ll do fine. Getting used to looking out the window versus the radar display will probably be the biggest adjustment. Things look closer on the scope than they do when looking out the window
Does TPA deal with a lot of GA?

Sheesh not sure why you took out what facility you were going to. Now people are going to be replying with tips for pattern traffic.

Last edited:
Learn what a traffic pattern is. Unreal I had to teach a center person what it is.

Ha
Does TPA deal with a lot of GA?

Sheesh not sure why you took out what facility you were going to. Now people are going to be replying with tips for pattern traffic.
Had no idea the person was going to TPA 😂😂😂😂

We’ve had way more washouts since the NTI. I think trainees are just worse now tho
When I went through the academy a long long time ago, someone failing basics literally happened 2 times my year. Now with online basics there are 2-4 fails per class. That’s just for basics. When the students show up to okc for IQT they are generally unprepared.

When I went through the academy a long long time ago, someone failing basics literally happened 2 times my year. Now with online basics there are 2-4 fails per class. That’s just for basics. When the students show up to okc for IQT they are generally unprepared.
Say what you want about if cti helped you at all. The thing it did do was gather up kids that actually wanted to do this job and not just yolo after a Reddit AMA

Say what you want about if cti helped you at all. The thing it did do was gather up kids that actually wanted to do this job and not just yolo after a Reddit AMA
If the consequence of getting more people in the academy is that some shitbirds will get through the screening then I’m all for it. The entitlement from some of the CTI crowd is part of why this job is terrible. Give me more off the street people who actually have life experience.

If the consequence of getting more people in the academy is that some shitbirds will get through the screening then I’m all for it. The entitlement from some of the CTI crowd is part of why this job is terrible. Give me more off the street people who actually have life experience.
Lol well not everyone is OTS. They don’t have experience. Most literally learned about it on Reddit and applied as a yolo. And now tons and tons are washing out. More people are quitting now than ever before. A trainee quitting 5+ years ago was almost unheard of.

Back
Top Bottom