Quitting prior to CPC

Stuck at a level 5 up/down over 6 years now with multiple tower tickets prior to faa. Watching kids getting to go straight to a level 8 out of the academy is a load of shit. FAA and NATCA need to figure this shit out.
Give it time and I bet that gets changed to level 8 tower only or they just do away with it all together. Somehow I don’t see a whole lot of academy grads going to say ICT or ORF and not washing the fuck out in the radar, with or without RTF.

I don’t wish that on anyone but it’s definitely possible to bite off more than you can chew with zero experience in this job.

If anything they should be offering 8’s to all prior experience applicants before they give that shit to academy grads off the street…

Give it time and I bet that gets changed to level 8 tower only or they just do away with it all together. Somehow I don’t see a whole lot of academy grads going to say ICT or ORF and not washing the fuck out in the radar.

I don’t wish that on anyone but it’s definitely possible to bite off more than you can chew with zero experience in this job.

If anything they should be offering 8’s to all prior experience applicants before they give that shit to academy grads off the street…
Back in 2018ish ICT got 12 from the academy. One resigned, two hardships to other LVL 8, the rest are CPC at ICT or now on to LVL 12.

Idk why you guys think going to a level 5 tower for 10 years is going to help anyone do better at tracon anyway. You're just going to be older and slower when you get there.
It’s about letting those who’ve already put in the time and experience move up, if they so wish. And not everyone wants to end up at a Tracon. How about don’t be so close-minded and foster a pipeline of movement for everyone. I don’t want today’s new hires stuck at a black hole either but I don’t want to be myself, and there’s a way to fix both.

Back in 2018ish ICT got 12 from the academy. One resigned, two hardships to other LVL 8, the rest are CPC at ICT or now on to LVL 12.
I’ve just heard ICT is a tough approach control for an 8, that’s good to hear!

Last edited:
It’s about letting those who’ve already put in the time and experience to move up if they so wish. And not everyone wants to end up at a Tracon. How about don’t be so close-minded and foster a pipeline of movement for everyone. I don’t want today’s new hires stuck at a black hole either but I don’t want to be myself, and there’s a way to fix both.
I'm in full agreement that opportunities should go to current employees first.

I don't think we should pretend it's for the benefit of new hires though.

It’s about letting those who’ve already put in the time and experience move up, if they so wish. And not everyone wants to end up at a Tracon. How about don’t be so close-minded and foster a pipeline of movement for everyone. I don’t want today’s new hires stuck at a black hole either but I don’t want to be myself, and there’s a way to fix both.

I’ve just heard ICT is a tough approach control for an 8, that’s good to hear!
I don't know about ICT's history, but some of those 8's that used to be 9's (or get their level mostly from radar) are going to be tough. Places like ORF or CRP come to mind

Last edited:
One guy on here talks a ton about how he wants to get to EVV but never can, maybe if you CPC he will swap you
That’s me!! I’ve done that legwork. No good. He has to be CPC, both facilities have to be able to let someone go, and neither facility can have a pickup on NCEPT. Then and only than is it a path that opens up. So effectively that’s never going to happen.

I don't know about ICT's history, but some of those 8's that used to be 9's (or get their level mostly from radar) are going to be tough. Places like ORF or CRP come to mind
It seems I wasn’t correct about ICT from what I’ve heard. But ORF will no doubt be a meat-grinder of an 8 for academy grads.

That’s me!! I’ve done that legwork. No good. He has to be CPC,
He has to be cpc for a year
both facilities have to be able to let someone go,
Must be green at the conclusion of the NCEPT panel in which the swap is requested.
and neither facility can have a pickup on NCEPT.
This isn’t true
Then and only than is it a path that opens up. So effectively that’s never going to happen.
This is true

He has to be cpc for a year

Must be green at the conclusion of the NCEPT panel in which the swap is requested.

This isn’t true

This is true
I appreciate the break down lol. But I was told that if a facility can only let 1 go, and 1 is picked up, that removes the ability for the swap to happen. I heard both facilities at the end of NCEPT have to still be able to let a body go to move forward. Since at best we only ever have 1 release every few years, someone is always picked up.. So I never get to the swap.

I appreciate the break down lol. But I was told that if a facility can only let 1 go, and 1 is picked up, that removes the ability for the swap to happen. I heard both facilities at the end of NCEPT have to still be able to let a body go to move forward. Since at best we only ever have 1 release every few years, someone is always picked up.. So I never get to the swap.
If you can let 1 go and 1 is picked up in the panel then you’re not green at the conclusion of the panel.
That’s not what “neither facility can have a pickup on NCEPT” means though

If you can let 1 go and 1 is picked up in the panel then you’re not green at the conclusion of the panel.
That’s not what “neither facility can have a pickup on NCEPT” means though
Fair enough, I guess that’s my own bias in life experiences… We never ever have the ability to release more than 1 in the extremely rare chance we do let someone go.. So when 1 gets picked up, that’s it for us. I’ve never been to a place that has a second slot.

My understanding is that for a swap to go through after Ncept both would still have to be able to release. So in other words they could have just put in normal paperwork. Is there a scenario someone can spell out where a swap would go through and both people having paperwork in wouldn’t have worked?

Back
Top Bottom