Rotating Days Off

While often interchangeably discussed by us normals, legally-speaking, compensatory time off and credit hours are not the same as they each have legal definitions in Title 5 of the US Code (federal law) that provide differentiation.

Comp time is time off with pay in lieu of OT pay for irregular (non-scheduled) OT work. Comp time is earned beyond an employee's scheduled work day only if directed by (or approved in advance by) a supervisor or manager. Supervisors or managers may grant comp time in lieu of OT pay if a FLSA-nonexempt employee so requests. And FLSA-nonexempt employees that fail to use comp time within 26 pay periods, or leave the FAA before that 26th pay period, are paid for the earned comp time at the OT rate in effect when it was earned.

Credit hours are all hours within a flexible work schedule (and only a flexible work schedule qualifies) that an employee voluntarily elects to work in excess of their basic work shift. Credit hours may not carry-over from one pay period to the next pay period if the balance exceeds 24 hours or a negotiated number of hours (24 hours per the NATCA CBA). Those credit hours exceeding the number specified by law, agency policy, or CBA and not used are lost and are not compensated. As for credit hours, an employee cannot earn night differential, Sunday pay, or holiday pay when earning credit hours. If the NATCA CBA authorized hazardous duty pay, however, an employee would earn hazardous duty pay for those credit hours earned or worked. I cannot answer for CIC or training premium pays when earning credit hours because that is a NATCA CBA issue instead of a federal law issue.

So the differences are involuntary (ordered to work OT) versus voluntary (want to earn some time off) and compensated (if not used) versus not compensated (if not used). The only thing they really have in common is that an employee has to ask for, and receive, permission from a supervisor or manager.

One final note. Because you can accrue a lot more comp time than credit hours (practically unlimited versus 24 hours max), I always burned my credit hours soon after earning them. However, I saved my comp time and waited to burn them until after pay raises were in effect (January raise and June 1.6% raise). You can earn a little more money that way versus letting them expire at 26 pay periods and being limited to the OT rate when earned (26 pay periods ago).

We couldn’t get anyone to come in for OT anyway. Already stuck on six’s. But still those people earning a full day can take a full day that lines up with a vacation or just some better timed three day weekends. Work in the winter and enjoy a few extra days in summer etc. Plenty of uses. Id work a credit mid if I could lol. Easiest 8 out there and I could give a shit about differentials, OT, holiday or Sunday pay.
How are you on 6 day workweeks and being approved to take full days of credit at the same time? Tell me your secrets!!!

We can take a few hours here and there, but we're never approved for full days, because there are already people assigned OT on those days.

How are you on 6 day workweeks and being approved to take full days of credit at the same time? Tell me your secrets!!!

We can take a few hours here and there, but we're never approved for full days, because there are already people assigned OT on those days.
It’s very rare but the fully staffed days do pop up! Not to mention we’ve worked so short it’s become the norm. So even if we’re below official numbers it will be better than our new standard of shit staffing that a good Sup will let someone go. But mostly an hour here or there being used unfortunately.

I believe Supes earn comp time not credit? Someone with knowledge please answer
Yes. Comp time is managements dirty little secret. Comp time is like overtime where it is earned at 1.5 times the hours worked. For example if I work 60 minutes of comp time, I would actually earn 90 minutes in the books because the time and a half rule. Just like if I worked 60 minutes of overtime, i would receive 90 minutes of pay. Credit is neutral, meaning one for one. So 60 minutes worked on credit equals 60 minutes on the books. So for those who would rather have the extra time off than the overtime pay, it would be beneficial to ask for comp time when they assign/call you in for overtime. So whatever day you come in for "overtime" have it switched to comp time instead that way you would get 12 hours of comp time for 8 hours of work. So comp time is always much more beneficial than credit. You won't hear management going out of their way to inform you about, or give you any comp time though. Top that off with you can accrue about 240 hours of comp time per year vs 24 hours a pay period with credit. I think you may need to use comp by the end of the year though, if not, they take it away and cash those hours out on an overtime rate.

Yes. Comp time is managements dirty little secret. Comp time is like overtime where it is earned at 1.5 times the hours worked. For example if I work 60 minutes of comp time, I would actually earn 90 minutes in the books because the time and a half rule. Just like if I worked 60 minutes of overtime, i would receive 90 minutes of pay. Credit is neutral, meaning one for one. So 60 minutes worked on credit equals 60 minutes on the books. So for those who would rather have the extra time off than the overtime pay, it would be beneficial to ask for comp time when they assign/call you in for overtime. So whatever day you come in for "overtime" have it switched to comp time instead that way you would get 12 hours of comp time for 8 hours of work. So comp time is always much more beneficial than credit. You won't hear management going out of their way to inform you about, or give you any comp time though. Top that off with you can accrue about 240 hours of comp time per year vs 24 hours a pay period with credit. I think you may need to use comp by the end of the year though, if not, they take it away and cash those hours out on an overtime rate.
I think comp time is supposed to be used by agencies that don’t have budget for OT so kind of seems like a scam that they can get it since they can just get OT or credit

I think comp time is supposed to be used by agencies that don’t have budget for OT so kind of seems like a scam that they can get it since they can just get OT or credit
Yet it’s available for management and they work in the same agency both you and I work for. Scam indeed

There is no limit for credit earned for management. They are allowed to go over 24 hours.
I was speaking strictly about BUE's for the 24 hours credit, but cool didn't know they had unlimited potential for credit. Although I'm sure they'd take comp time or overtime, everytime

Yes. Comp time is managements dirty little secret. Comp time is like overtime where it is earned at 1.5 times the hours worked. For example if I work 60 minutes of comp time, I would actually earn 90 minutes in the books because the time and a half rule. Just like if I worked 60 minutes of overtime, i would receive 90 minutes of pay. Credit is neutral, meaning one for one. So 60 minutes worked on credit equals 60
I was speaking strictly about BUE's for the 24 hours credit, but cool didn't know they had unlimited potential for credit. Although I'm sure they'd take comp time or overtime, everytime
comp is not 1.5 hours. its 1 for 1. and has to be used within the year. credit can be kept forever.

Back
Top Bottom