SAV/CHS/MYR

At CLE. The old MFD airspace is now "Cleveland West." The old CAK is now "Cleveland South/East." And the "legacy" Cleveland scopes stayed the same, just got renamed.

CAK sent over 5 or 6 conteollers. MFD sent over like 6 or 7. They all cross-trained on everything. TWR, West, South, and legacy positions.

I believe the FAA and NATCA have generally allowed those at the losing facility to choose to move (to CHS here) or stay (at FLO or MYR). But say a facility's current on-board number exceeds the number to stay and move (not likely), what happens to the excess? I know they can stay within the FAA and move to a new facility, I'm just not sure to where or under what process.
I just think that facility stays excessively staffed until people retire or bid out. GRR lost their radar 2 years ago and they are still at 116% staffing.

I just think that facility stays excessively staffed until people retire or bid out. GRR lost their radar 2 years ago and they are still at 116% staffing.
The FAA can't really force you to move. Grand Rapids is a better city than Kalamazoo. Also, still getting level 7 pay to work level 4/5 tower traffic.

I believe they sent very few to AZO.

The FAA can't really force you to move. Grand Rapids is a better city than Kalamazoo. Also, still getting level 7 pay to work level 4/5 tower traffic.

I believe they sent very few to AZO.
I grew up in Michigan: living in Grand Rapids with level 5 pay trumps living in K-zoo with level 7 pay all day, every day. Outside of having the facility to accommodate it, it makes zero damn sense that AZO got the 804s and not GRR. If GRR absorbed everything and hit level 8, it could have been a dream facility.

At CLE. The old MFD airspace is now "Cleveland West." The old CAK is now "Cleveland South/East." And the "legacy" Cleveland scopes stayed the same, just got renamed.

CAK sent over 5 or 6 conteollers. MFD sent over like 6 or 7. They all cross-trained on everything. TWR, West, South, and legacy positions.
It looks like CLE won’t be bringing in any new people for quite a while, huh?

Good thing Cleveland isn’t my top facility I’ve wanted to go to for years or anything ?

It looks like CLE won’t be bringing in any new people for quite a while, huh?

Good thing Cleveland isn’t my top facility I’ve wanted to go to for years or anything ?
You never know. 3 more just got certified this week. So there are only like 7 total trainees. 2 CPCs have release dates out and I think 2 expected retirements next year. Plus there’s more that are trying to leave via ERRs.

Isn’t YNG appch airspace going to CLE as well?

So what is the deal with this consolidation now that MYR is a 9? Also, is it MYR/SAV/CHS or CHS/MYR/FLO?

So what is the deal with this consolidation now that MYR is a 9? Also, is it MYR/SAV/CHS or CHS/MYR/FLO?
CHS gaining MYR/FLO. See Page 1 of this thread. MYR recently upgrading to ATC-9 should actually strengthen the case for consolidation to CHS.

One of the most salient parts of the entire consolidation process is budgeting. If the costs to consolidate far exceed (or, in some cases, just exceed) the benefits, then a facility is not normally a consolidation candidate. That said, I think it's fair to say consolidating these facilities would have seen CHS getting an upgrade to ATC-9 in any case.

An upgrade to ATC-9 was likely considered and reviewed as a financial consideration when consolidation of these facilities was first proposed. So CHS upgrading to ATC-9 would have already been "baked into the cake." MYR getting upgraded to ATC-9 further strengthens the financial case to consolidate these facilities as anyone moving from MYR to CHS is now a wash (financially-speaking).

CHS gaining MYR/FLO. See Page 1 of this thread. MYR recently upgrading to ATC-9 should actually strengthen the case for consolidation to CHS.

One of the most salient parts of the entire consolidation process is budgeting. If the costs to consolidate far exceed (or, in some cases, just exceed) the benefits, then a facility is not normally a consolidation candidate. That said, I think it's fair to say consolidating these facilities would have seen CHS getting an upgrade to ATC-9 in any case.

An upgrade to ATC-9 was likely considered and reviewed as a financial consideration when consolidation of these facilities was first proposed. So CHS upgrading to ATC-9 would have already been "baked into the cake." MYR getting upgraded to ATC-9 further strengthens the financial case to consolidate these facilities as anyone moving from MYR to CHS is now a wash (financially-speaking).
That’s a good take. Thanks!

I've been keeping the 804 thread updated as changes are officially announced so I've been waiting for the next set of recommendations to become official. The next set of recommendations are currently out for agency review and approval. Unofficially, the next set of recommendations will be:

- ZSU (CERAP) to ZMA (Center) and RSW (Terminal);
- FLO and MYR to CHS (new facility being built).
Both of these would be super interesting to implement! Anyone have updates on when they’ll be posted for the next round of recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom