SAVE PAY

The_Zone

I just wanted to see if anyone has gone through this recently, as other threads I've found are a few years old. Will I be able to save pay when I transfer over to the FAA? I'm currently a Federal employee (GS12), and was told by my HR rep that at the Academy I will be paid a little more than other trainee's but no even close to my current salary.
But according to the NATCA Collective Bargaining Agreement (2016) " Article 108: Pay Section 5(c)

Section 5. New Hire/New Entrant/Re-Entrant Pay Setting.

a. New Hire (required to attend Initial Qualifications (IQ) Training): Basic Pay for terminal and

en route employees is set at the AG pay band effective the day after their graduation from the

FAA Academy.

Basic Pay for Flight Service employees is set at the FSS IQ pay band upon entering initial

qualifications training and is set at the FSS AG pay band upon successful completion thereof.

b. New Hire (not required to attend Initial Qualifications Training): Basic Pay set at the AG pay

band upon the effective date of his/her appointment to his/her facility of record.

c. New Entrant: A new entrant will retain his/her current federal pay up to the maximum of the

Developmental-3 pay .

d. For a Military or DOD Civilian controller with fifty-two (52) consecutive weeks

experience as a certified air traffic controller, Basic Pay shall be set at the lowest developmental

pay level for the assigned ATC facility upon the effective date of their appointment to their

facility of record."

So if I'm reading and understanding this correctly I should be allowed to save pay when I switch over, since I fall under "New Entrant". Any input or experience is greatly appreciated.

Don't quote me on this but I believe you ge the AG pay while at the Academy and then go Back to your save pay (or top of D3) once you get to your facility.

Do they have your SF-50 w/ GS12 pay? I can't remember if you get the max right off the bat or if its like dankvectorz said. That would be the worst case scenario though, AG at AAC, then save pay at graduation.

@OscarGolf recently transferred over, he might know.

Do they have your SF-50 w/ GS12 pay? I can't remember if you get the max right off the bat or if its like dankvectorz said. That would be the worst case scenario though, AG at AAC, then save pay at graduation.

@OscarGolf recently transferred over, he might know.

On the recent TOL contact form it only asked for my HR POC if I was current federal employee, and a SF-50W is required if prior federal employee. Thankfully I got terminal, and the 44K pay cut will only be for about a month hopefully!

On the recent TOL contact form it only asked for my HR POC if I was current federal employee, and a SF-50W is required if prior federal employee. Thankfully I got terminal, and the 44K pay cut will only be for about a month hopefully!
Ok, your current HR will transfer everything over so you're good on that end. At some point I'd call and verify when the save pay kicks in, since every hire type is slightly different, the last rep might have just told you wrong. The wording in the contract is pretty specific so I would expect it to state "upon the effective date of their appointment to their facility of record" like it does for the other if it were the case.

There is no D pay band at the Academy.
Yeah, that triggered it for me. Because you don't have a facility yet, there's nothing to check the current pay against. So like he originally said, AG @ AAC, Save pay @ assignment.

Even at the facility though he’d only be a D1 right? So go to the top of D1 payband for the save pay then bottom of D2 like normal as they move up?

Even at the facility though he’d only be a D1 right? So go to the top of D1 payband for the save pay then bottom of D2 like normal as they move up?

See the part where it says "up to top of D3 pay band"? That means up to the top of the D3 pay band. Not D1. Attention to detail.

Would there be a time requirement for this? Like I would have to have been a GS12 for X amount of time for me to retain the pay or if I had JUST gotten promoted to GS12 then transferred to FAA I would still retain the GS pay?

Would there be a time requirement for this? Like I would have to have been a GS12 for X amount of time for me to retain the pay or if I had JUST gotten promoted to GS12 then transferred to FAA I would still retain the GS pay?

I was temp GS-11 for 2 months and got to save my pay. I don’t think there’s a time requirement.

I was temp GS-11 for 2 months and got to save my pay. I don’t think there’s a time requirement.
That’s good news. The job I’m going to be working while waiting on the next bid is a GS spot so it would be nice to not have to take a pay cut when making the switch.

That’s good news. The job I’m going to be working while waiting on the next bid is a GS spot so it would be nice to not have to take a pay cut when making the switch.

If you're OTS you will receive AG pay while at the Academy and then revert to save pay when you get to your facility. And I believe you only save pay up to the top of the D3 band at your facility, whichever is lower.

If you're OTS you will receive AG pay while at the Academy and then revert to save pay when you get to your facility. And I believe you only save pay up to the top of the D3 band at your facility, whichever is lower.
I’ll apply to both but hopefully I get in on the prior experience bid this year. Also, with retaining pay when transferring do you still get pay increases with each rating you get?

I’ll apply to both but hopefully I get in on the prior experience bid this year. Also, with retaining pay when transferring do you still get pay increases with each rating you get?

Well you never get pay raises with each rating. It goes by D1, D2, D3, CPC. D1 is 25% of positions, D2 50% etc. (some small facilities don't have D1 or D2). If you are save pay at top of the D3 band, you will not receive any raises for certifications until CPC. If your save pay puts you in the bottom or middle of a band, say D2, when you achieve D2 certification you will receive a raise to the top of the band or a 6% raise, whichever is smaller. Then you'll receive normal raises after that as you hit D3 and CPC.

Whichever is larger.

When I hit D1 I got a 6% raise. Certainly didn't go to the top of the band. I was VRA so I started at D1 pay. Also they're not going to give you a raise while D2 that is higher than the top of the D2 band. It's either 6%, or top of the band, whichever is smaller.

Last edited:
When I hit D1 I got a 6% raise. Certainly didn't go to the top of the band. I was VRA so I started at D1 pay. Also they're not going to give you a raise while D2 that is higher than the top of the D2 band. It's either 6%, or top of the band, whichever is smaller.
Ah misread. Yeah, can’t go above the band. Larger of Bottom of the band or 6%, is what I thought you meant.

Back
Top Bottom