Selective Service Requirement

Reebok

Lurker
I'm making this post primarily to seek opinions, get advice, remove this terrible feeling in my stomach.

Just a quick lil run down, I applied for OTS bid in 2022 at 26. I read the requirements and met all except I wasn't registered for Selective Service, I saw on the website that it was for people 18-25, seeing as how I was 26 I thought that made me exempt, trying to register just resulted in errors. 26 years old is when I learned what Selective Service even was, it was the draft, which I thought was just a meme, I didn't think it was actually still used. Anyway I take the Atsa get bq, get my TOL, and proceed with the PEPC event. I completed everything but my TOL is now being rescinded if I can't provide evidence I didn't willfully dodge the draft. Everyone at the PEPC event looked like they turned to ghosts when I told them that I failed to register for SS. I called SS and explained my situation, they agreed to send me a Status Information letter stating I didn't willfully and knowledgeably dodge the draft. I am sadly also part of the 5 states which doesnt require registering in order to get a license, and I've never needed federal aid. I have explained this to my State's Senator as well hoping for a referral or something. I'm getting the feeling that even with the SS letter stating I didn't willfully dodge, and that I tried to make amends at the age of 27, the FAA will rescind my TOL, which apparently is their right. Please help me, how can I be the only one that fucked up this badly?

I think because you did your due diligence they’ll give you a pass. After all, you said they wanted evidence that you didn’t willfully dodge and you provided that with the letter. I think you’re good.

I think because you did your due diligence they’ll give you a pass. After all, you said they wanted evidence that you didn’t willfully dodge and you provided that with the letter. I think you’re good.
Wow you really think so? That's the best news I've heard all week. The HR lady seemed really keen on rescinding it but I guess thats just their copy and paste response. I was really surprised there aren't more people like me considering the entire state of California doesn't require SS for drivers license. Really wished my high school or college mentioned its importance though.

I’m sorry did you say PEPC. That’s something I haven’t heard in Like a decade
That's right, not HEPC but PEPC! Did mmpi-2, drug, eqip, scheduled medical, and credit check in about 4 hours. Everyone was so kind.

"Selective Service’s mission is to register virtually all men residing in the United States. If a draft is ever needed, the process must be fair, and that fairness depends on having all eligible men register. In the event of a draft, for every man who fails to register, another man would be required to take his place in service to his country."

You fuckin commie

Wait isn't SS involuntary? So confused. I am a CA resident tho and served so. ?‍♂️

"Selective Service’s mission is to register virtually all men residing in the United States. If a draft is ever needed, the process must be fair, and that fairness depends on having all eligible men register. In the event of a draft, for every man who fails to register, another man would be required to take his place in service to his country."

You fuckin commie
ikr , Korean war was like 40 years ago, 9/11 like 20. seriously thought the draft was a meme and had no idea its still a thing and actually illegal to not sign up. you'd think they'd send you more than 1 letter when your 18. also you'd think our schools would tell us about it.

Wait isn't SS involuntary? So confused. I am a CA resident tho and served so. ?‍♂️
You must've manually signed up yourself. Maybe you got your letter or maybe you needed financial aid and had to sign. However if you didn't know about and just got your license, Cali is one of like 5 states that don't force you to sign up.

ikr , Korean war was like 40 years ago, 9/11 like 20. seriously thought the draft was a meme and had no idea its still a thing and actually illegal to not sign up. you'd think they'd send you more than 1 letter when your 18. also you'd think our schools would tell us about it.

You must've manually signed up yourself. Maybe you got your letter or maybe you needed financial aid and had to sign. However if you didn't know about and just got your license, Cali is one of like 5 states that don't force you to sign up.
I bet your school did tell you. You don’t sound very observant

I bet your school did tell you. You don’t sound very observant
In their defense, did anybody listen in school? I bombed the asvab when they came to the school and required everyone to take it. I was a three sport athlete, I was going to college for sports man! Then a few years later I was in the recruiters office lolol

But leave it to Commiefornia to not require declaring to get a license. If I’m not mistaken, you’re automatically enrolled when you register to vote and/or join the military.

In their defense, did anybody listen in school? I bombed the asvab when they came to the school and required everyone to take it. I was a three sport athlete, I was going to college for sports man! Then a few years later I was in the recruiters office lolol

But leave it to Commiefornia to not require declaring to get a license. If I’m not mistaken, you’re automatically enrolled when you register to vote and/or join the military.
Do you remember Wheels?

I'm making this post primarily to seek opinions, get advice, remove this terrible feeling in my stomach.

Just a quick lil run down, I applied for OTS bid in 2022 at 26. I read the requirements and met all except I wasn't registered for Selective Service, I saw on the website that it was for people 18-25, seeing as how I was 26 I thought that made me exempt, trying to register just resulted in errors. 26 years old is when I learned what Selective Service even was, it was the draft, which I thought was just a meme, I didn't think it was actually still used. Anyway I take the Atsa get bq, get my TOL, and proceed with the PEPC event. I completed everything but my TOL is now being rescinded if I can't provide evidence I didn't willfully dodge the draft. Everyone at the PEPC event looked like they turned to ghosts when I told them that I failed to register for SS. I called SS and explained my situation, they agreed to send me a Status Information letter stating I didn't willfully and knowledgeably dodge the draft. I am sadly also part of the 5 states which doesnt require registering in order to get a license, and I've never needed federal aid. I have explained this to my State's Senator as well hoping for a referral or something. I'm getting the feeling that even with the SS letter stating I didn't willfully dodge, and that I tried to make amends at the age of 27, the FAA will rescind my TOL, which apparently is their right. Please help me, how can I be the only one that fucked up this badly?
Fuck you you draft dodging hippie. But anyway, thanks for bringing up memories of the old school PEPC, and yes, your school screwed your by not reminding/pushing people to sign up.

I remember our social studies teacher passed out the registration to vote forms and the selective service forms and helped everyone who was eligible get signed up that day.

I got "in trouble" for not registering for SS while I was in basic training for the Air Force. I turned 18 in basic training. Couldn't register for it at 17, but was already enlisted.

I’m a 4F but the Israeli Defense Force would take me when I spoke to a recruiter in New York ?‍♂️.

When I went for my TS/SCI they asked about me signing up for SS, I told them I didnt because I went into the military at 18 and they said that was good enough lol

Back
Top Bottom