stars capture areas for traffic count

wikdevo

I am aware that satellite airports have capture boxes for aircraft that inbound for the traffic count.

if an aircraft cancels outside of that box and squawks vfr does the count still go in?

I am aware that satellite airports have capture boxes for aircraft that inbound for the traffic count.

if an aircraft cancels outside of that box and squawks vfr does the count still go in?
This is why you tell them to remain on their IFR squawk till the ground.

Our facility recently went through our traffic count thoroughly. STARS does track the aircraft and where it goes into the capture areas even if they cancel. Technically STARS watches all aircraft in your airspace to see if they have a code for it to track and where/if any counts are applicable.

Our facility recently went through our traffic count thoroughly. STARS does track the aircraft and where it goes into the capture areas even if they cancel.
Does the scratchpad matter (1st or 2nd or both), or not? Does it make a difference for towered vs non-towered airport?

Does the scratchpad matter (1st or 2nd or both), or not? Does it make a difference for towered vs non-towered airport?
As long as the entry is one that has been added into the facility countops it doesn't matter which scratchpad its in. However there is a priority table that says which entries take higher precedence and that stops double counting. When they put your airspace into countops the capture areas are different for towered vs non-towered however the system tracks all targets the same. If someone terminates ifr and goes vfr into a non-towered airport on 1200 you still will get the ifr count for that airplane.

Great to know, thanks.

As long as the entry is one that has been added into the facility countops
What if there is no entry at all? I know a few different facilities where the SOP defines "no scratchpad entry" as "inbound on the advertised instrument approach" (for a towered airport anyway). Does that still get captured?

Great to know, thanks.

What if there is no entry at all? I know a few different facilities where the SOP defines "no scratchpad entry" as "inbound on the advertised instrument approach" (for a towered airport anyway). Does that still get captured?
That would still count because the system bases your IFR or VFR count for the operation based on its code. Unless there is something to tell it otherwise. Ie: VFR doing practice approach with no scratchpad entry means the system will count as VFR. If you have something in like ILS or whatever is decided that can tell the system to count it as an IFR operation.

Back
Top Bottom