Training Success Rates

Training Success Rates 5/23/17

No permission to download
Any idea what the "Priority Level 4" column means? Or what threshold is used to determine "low/med/high-TTC (time to certify?)?

i believe it's a relative ranking vs the like-type average & success rate
edit: actually, I'm certain it is. think of it as a proxy for "difficulty getting a trainee certified"

Thank you for posting this. I was always curious about the certification rate/time for various facilities. Even if the numbers are "manipulated", it gives me an idea of what to expect. The attrition rate is lower than I thought it would be at most facs, granted I'm used to a nearly 50% attrition rate where I work. It was also enlightening to see the time, in years, it takes to certify. Those numbers aren't straight training days, correct? For example, someone gets FD and there is a training backlog so they work FD while awaiting other positions to open up. That time would count towards total time to CPC? I understand that the FAA uses hours, not days, to train by.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. I was always curious about the certification rate/time for various facilities. Even if the numbers are "manipulated", it gives me an idea of what to expect. The attrition rate is lower than I thought it would be at most facs, granted I'm used to a nearly 50% attrition rate where I work. It was also enlightening to see the time, in years, it takes to certify. Those numbers aren't straight training days, correct? For example, someone gets FD and there is a training backlog so they work FD while awaiting other positions to open up. That time would count towards total time to CPC? I understand that the FAA uses hours, not days, to train by.

A80:
New Hires- 47% (actual closer to 35% historically)
CPC Transfers- 87% (actual closer to 50% historically)
Hell, easily 50+ have washed out in the last 4 years here...

A80:

Those numbers are staggering, but not surprising. It seems like extremely congested, and busy, airspace. It makes sense why you guys need people there (ref other thread). Hell, I would love to go to A80 as my first fac, but I know I would be quickly humbled. Random question, where do most of you guys live that work at A80? I've heard Peachtree City is the place to go for most ZTL controllers.

Those numbers aren't straight training days, correct? For example, someone gets FD and there is a training backlog so they work FD while awaiting other positions to open up. That time would count towards total time to CPC? I understand that the FAA uses hours, not days, to train by.

It's calendar time, day you start to day you certify.

A80:

I don't have the slightest idea how they don't have accurate training success rates. I would think that's something that is 1) pretty fking critical to know and 2) easy to trace back. Guess I'm giving the leadership too much credit.

All the facilities aren't using the same starting points, so it's skewed when comparing. Which is of course what they are using to project success rates :rolleyes:

Thanks MJ. I figured that was the case. Would that not skew the information on how long it takes for someone to get fully rated? I see some slow facilities (levels 4-6) that take over two years for someone to achieve CPC. I'm sure it's a combination of trainee backlog, lack of traffic, etc.

Thanks MJ. I figured that was the case. Would that not skew the information on how long it takes for someone to get fully rated? I see some slow facilities (levels 4-6) that take over two years for someone to achieve CPC. I'm sure it's a combination of trainee backlog, lack of traffic, etc.

Mid level updowns have the most red tape. Generally they won't have the resources higher facilities have (training support staff, for example). You have to go through all the local classrooms, simulators, etc, where each step introduces delays. You have to wait for, then attend, RTF. Then seasonal or sporadic traffic may come into play. Toss in a bitter sup now and again to really draw things out, and times get out of hand quickly.

over 18 months for anything below an 8 is unacceptable in my opinion, and in general is attributable to bureaucracy and poor management.

Can confirm that at a level 6 up/down pretty much everything MJ0730 just said checks out in my experience.

It took almost 6 months to certify on fd/CD/gc (always combined at our facility) and that's when we were considered adequately staffed. Several people behind me in training will take considerably longer.

Back
Top Bottom