TSA to FAA

Patriot

Does anyone have experience going from the TSA to FAA? I was recently offered a job with the TSA and a cat IV airport that checks 15 passengers a day. Is it worth investing so much time into training for the TSA? Ultimately I want to work for the FAA. I applied for the July 2018 ATS bid. My application says referred and I'm still waiting on a TOL. I'm just looking for something to do in the meantime.

I’m not sure of the validity of this post, but for you I would highly recommend the TSA job while you’re waiting

I made my transition from TSA/MDW to the FAA almost 9 years ago. My recommendation is to accept the job with TSA. This way you start accruing annual and sick leave. You also start earning towards your TSP. The best part is, once the FAA offer you a firm offer letter (FOL), continue working for TSA up until your FAA start date. This way you transfer agencies and retain your pay from TSA which is higher than your pay while in OKC. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck Eskimo brother. Lol

And perhaps most importantly, TSA time counts toward your one year probation so if you make the jump to FAA, it'll be much easier to fight for your job.

I made my transition from TSA/MDW to the FAA almost 9 years ago. My recommendation is to accept the job with TSA. This way you start accruing annual and sick leave. You also start earning towards your TSP. The best part is, once the FAA offer you a firm offer letter (FOL), continue working for TSA up until your FAA start date. This way you transfer agencies and retain your pay from TSA which is higher than your pay while in OKC. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck Eskimo brother. Lol

And perhaps most importantly, TSA time counts toward your one year probation so if you make the jump to FAA, it'll be much easier to fight for your job.
I’ve never actually heard of anyone getting fired in their probation period for anything other than their ATC abilities. Is that even really a thing in this day and age?

training for the tsa is about a few days of practicing feeling up your coworkers then you are released to the public.

LMAO! ? ?

Realistically they're having me do level 1 training at an airport 4 hrs away from me. For level 2 training I'll go to FLETC for 2 weeks in July and then immediately back to the airport 4 hrs away for 3 more weeks. Since this is part time, I'm planning on finishing my commerical and CFI ratings so I can also instruct for a second job.

Thanks!

BTW were not Eskimo bros.... im a girl. lol

can you give me a rough idea as to what the pay is like? the annual base pay in my offer letter doesn't seem right for what I thought the hourly pay is going to be. I'm debating on whether or not I'm going to need a second job since this is only part time.

I’ve never actually heard of anyone getting fired in their probation period for anything other than their ATC abilities. Is that even really a thing in this day and age?
Yes, happened last year to a guy at our facility. The 1 year probation made it possible, if he had been in longer I'm not sure that they could have fired him, or at least not as easily.

I’ve worked with 2 at my last facility and 2 at the one before that that they gave them the axe specifically before the year was up

TSA starts at like $15.68/hr. for a regular TSO. A lot of places start at 20 hours/week and it's still 5 days.

Alright guys I need some advice. Now that I'm in the government with the TSA, how bad does it look to the FAA if I resign from the TSA? I have a few reasons why..

My position is only part time 20hrs a week. I'm not making enough money to make a living. I have to have a second job and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm scheduled to go to FLETC later this month. I accepted the job with the TSA because it was convenient for me. I have no intention of making the TSA a career. My top goal is the FAA. I figured it's maybe best not to waste the governments money by sending me to FLETC if I'm going to quit sooner or later.

I plan on being professional and giving a 2 week notice. I just want reassurance this isn't going to bite me in the ass later down the road.

Alright guys I need some advice. Now that I'm in the government with the TSA, how bad does it look to the FAA if I resign from the TSA? I have a few reasons why..

My position is only part time 20hrs a week. I'm not making enough money to make a living. I have to have a second job and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm scheduled to go to FLETC later this month. I accepted the job with the TSA because it was convenient for me. I have no intention of making the TSA a career. My top goal is the FAA. I figured it's maybe best not to waste the governments money by sending me to FLETC if I'm going to quit sooner or later.

I plan on being professional and giving a 2 week notice. I just want reassurance this isn't going to bite me in the ass later down the road.
I was fired from TSA and it didnt matter. (Dont call in sick twice in 9 months)

Back
Top Bottom