TSA to FAA

LOL and the FAA didn't care?

Alright guys I need some advice. Now that I'm in the government with the TSA, how bad does it look to the FAA if I resign from the TSA? I have a few reasons why..

My position is only part time 20hrs a week. I'm not making enough money to make a living. I have to have a second job and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm scheduled to go to FLETC later this month. I accepted the job with the TSA because it was convenient for me. I have no intention of making the TSA a career. My top goal is the FAA. I figured it's maybe best not to waste the governments money by sending me to FLETC if I'm going to quit sooner or later.

I plan on being professional and giving a 2 week notice. I just want reassurance this isn't going to bite me in the ass later down the road.

This should not bite you in the ass. Have you passed your probationary period yet in the TSA? If you have not, then you would have to complete your probationary period again if you are hired by the FAA. That may not be a big deal for you right now especially if you are having a hard time making ends meet but it could pay off if you did complete it. You would have more options available to you should you run into training or disciplinary difficulties.

This should not bite you in the ass. Have you passed your probationary period yet in the TSA? If you have not, then you would have to complete your probationary period again if you are hired by the FAA. That may not be a big deal for you right now especially if you are having a hard time making ends meet but it could pay off if you did complete it. You would have more options available to you should you run into training or disciplinary difficulties.

I'm gonna guess no. I've only been with the TSA since April.

Im scheduled to go 7/21 and I plan to give my notice Monday which is 13 days. Is that okay since it's not technically 2 weeks?

Alright guys I need some advice. Now that I'm in the government with the TSA, how bad does it look to the FAA if I resign from the TSA? I have a few reasons why..

My position is only part time 20hrs a week. I'm not making enough money to make a living. I have to have a second job and I'm still living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm scheduled to go to FLETC later this month. I accepted the job with the TSA because it was convenient for me. I have no intention of making the TSA a career. My top goal is the FAA. I figured it's maybe best not to waste the governments money by sending me to FLETC if I'm going to quit sooner or later.

I plan on being professional and giving a 2 week notice. I just want reassurance this isn't going to bite me in the ass later down the road.

This is why I chose not to pursue a job with TSA. I passed the initial test and was invited to interview three different times (they kept calling me even after I turned down the first invite, so they must have been desperate lol). I sometimes wonder if I should have pursued it, because I could have potentially had a couple years of Federal employment under my belt. Like you, I was just trying to get my foot in the door while waiting (hopefully) to get into the FAA, but it was part-time and would have been an hour+ commute, so it didn't seem worth it. I think if you live close to the airport and can supplement with a second job, it might be worth sticking out. But if that's not an option, don't feel bad about quitting. People have quit the FAA and gotten rehired, so I don't think they'll care.

This is why I chose not to pursue a job with TSA. I passed the initial test and was invited to interview three different times (they kept calling me even after I turned down the first invite, so they must have been desperate lol). I sometimes wonder if I should have pursued it, because I could have potentially had a couple years of Federal employment under my belt. Like you, I was just trying to get my foot in the door while waiting (hopefully) to get into the FAA, but it was part-time and would have been an hour+ commute, so it didn't seem worth it. I think if you live close to the airport and can supplement with a second job, it might be worth sticking out. But if that's not an option, don't feel bad about quitting. People have quit the FAA and gotten rehired, so I don't think they'll care.

I'm sorta over it. I have other goals right now. I'm working on finishing my commerical and CFI rating so I can get a flying job before I can hopefully get in the FAA. I think if i go away for over a month to finish this tsa training, it will be a setback. I know I'll eventually have to drop everything for the faa, but that's different because that's my ultimate goal. I have a lot of respect for the TSA and what they do but I don't think its meant for me right now.

I am taking 3.5 weeks of vacation from TSA right now before I start at the academy. Federal time plus vacation/sick carry over. As far as I'm aware, we do not get to keep TSA pay at the academy (or I haven't been told I will). The biggest benefit will be the time towards retirement. Additionally, I will be accruing leave at a higher rate than other new hires.

TSA pay is okay. Once you make the jump to E band (first year) it goes to around $18-19/hour, maybe more depending on your locality. Job sucks, more from management and shitty schedules rather than the job itself. Expect part-time (20 or 25 hours) forever at most locations, but it does have benefits for part-time employees. Also, TSA requires you to put them ahead of any other jobs/college and may make you work alternating evenings, mornings, plus split shifts at smaller airports. And the union sucks. Don't bother joining.

Also, TSA does the background check for a secret clearance, but will not actually give you any clearance, so you will have to go through that process again when applying for any other federal jobs.

Keep in mind that it may be years before you go to the academy, and you're not guaranteed to pass. If you don't pass the academy, then all that time spent working for TSA may be wasted. I suggest working on Plan B, and only working with TSA if it doesn't get in the way of that.

Last edited:
I am taking 3.5 weeks of vacation from TSA right now before I start at the academy. Federal time plus vacation/sick carry over. As far as I'm aware, we do not get to keep TSA pay at the academy (or I haven't been told I will). The biggest benefit will be the time towards retirement. Additionally, I will be accruing leave at a higher rate than other new hires.

TSA pay is okay. Once you make the jump to E band (first year) it goes to around $18-19/hour, maybe more depending on your locality. Job sucks, more from management and shitty schedules rather than the job itself. Expect part-time (20 or 25 hours) forever at most locations, but it does have benefits for part-time employees. Also, TSA requires you to put them ahead of any other jobs/college and may make you work alternating evenings, mornings, plus split shifts at smaller airports. And the union sucks. Don't bother joining.

Also, TSA does the background check for a secret clearance, but will not actually give you any clearance, so you will have to go through that process again when applying for any other federal jobs.

Keep in mind that it may be years before you go to the academy, and you're not guaranteed to pass. If you don't pass the academy, then all that time spent working for TSA may be wasted. I suggest working on Plan B, and only working with TSA if it doesn't get in the way of that.

Thanks for your detailed response. After thinking about it these past few days, I'm going tor resign tomorrow. The TSA is just going to be a setback and get in the way of other goals I have right now. I know my benefits, vacation time, TSP, etc. will carry over to the FAA but in all honestly, I think I have time to build that. I'm only 24.

I worked TSA for 6 months and quit, without two weeks notice (i was on a temporary hardship transfer and they said "you need to be back in Alaska next week" so they didn't give me much notice either.)
I'm at the academy now. Don't worry about it. To be on the safe side, just write a damn good letter of resignation, for your OPM file.

You get paid top of the academy band for pay I think it ending being like $2 more than everyone else got it made a big difference for me.

You get paid top of the academy band for pay I think it ending being like $2 more than everyone else got it made a big difference for me.

You're right. I just looked at my FOL. My pay exactly matches the max listed on the bid that went out last month. Comes to $2.97 more per hour or an extra $238 per pay period. That will make a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom