Why are ATCs so overweight?

While being in the application process and medical POC's being all over you about your medical history and all, is this still a thing while graduating academy and being placed in a facility? If you let yourself go, so to speak, will medical POC's be all over you? Are you expected to do checkups every year that can potentially impact your chances of doing your job?

While being in the application process and medical POC's being all over you about your medical history and all, is this still a thing while graduating academy and being placed in a facility? If you let yourself go, so to speak, will medical POC's be all over you? Are you expected to do checkups every year that can potentially impact your chances of doing your job?
You’ll have a scheduled physical every two years up until the age of 40 then a physical every year. If you had some extenuating circumstance, then you might be required to have a physical every year. Otherwise, you report any prescribed medication to the flight surgeon and they let you/your facility know how it will affect your ability to work.

If you are worried that getting fat AF is going to make you lose your medical, you have nothing to worry about as long as everything else is in order.

Why does the schedule have to rotate around so much? Like why can't some people work only night shifts, others only mornings, and others mids all the time? Sorry if the answer is simple, I'm just and outsider looking in.

Why does the schedule have to rotate around so much? Like why can't some people work only night shifts, others only mornings, and others mids all the time? Sorry if the answer is simple, I'm just and outsider looking in.
Because it's not fair... Someone will cry, someone will bring seniority into the conversation... Blah blah blah

You clearly haven't taken your physical yet lol

If you only worked overnights and then got scheduled an overtime shift or decided to bid a different schedule the next year, your skills would be greatly diminished. And honestly, it’s kind of nice to leave on your last day at 1pm or earlier and only have to report back 4pm after your weekend. Plus you have a couple weekday mornings usually open to get things done and avoid crowds.

Some places have options..depends on the facility, how many people are there, how well they stay staffed etc. they could offer alternative work schedules. Some people like straight shifts or all mids but it’s not really common to have enough to make an entire facility/area that way. If they do offer it in their schedules it’s unlikely someone that’s only been in 1-6 years will get it, but you never know because everyone’s outside life is different I just wouldn’t get in this job hoping for some 9-5 shit. This question comes up all the time and the short answer seems to be we all want it enough not to take it away, but still complain haha.
Personally I like the rotation....

Straight shifts require more staffing. Rotation allows for less bodies needed to actually run the place.

Back
Top Bottom