Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

Local Area​

External Links​

Can any controllers tell me what it's like to work here? pro/cons, relationship with management/union, amenities, work hours, cost of living?

Cost of living is excellent.

Many people live in Collierville and Germantown. Some also live in Olive Branch which is in Mississippi. It’s cheaper to live there but then you pay state income tax. There is no state income tax in Tennessee.

Tennessee is a beautiful state...except for West Tennessee. Memphis as a city sucks. Most don’t want to be there.

It took me 7 years to ERR out.

Can any controllers tell me what it's like to work here? pro/cons, relationship with management/union, amenities, work hours, cost of living?

Aren’t really any amenities to speak of. Union/ management relationship is decent and probably better than most places.

Most areas have been on 6 day work weeks since last year. Lots of trainees at the moment but a bit of a backlog.

Traffic we work is fairly fun I think. 4 man (per area) mids due to Fed Ex push is something different compared to what most centers see.

Decent choices between suburban or rural settings based on where you want to live.

Aren’t really any amenities to speak of. Union/ management relationship is decent and probably better than most places.

Most areas have been on 6 day work weeks since last year. Lots of trainees at the moment but a bit of a backlog.

Traffic we work is fairly fun I think. 4 man (per area) mids due to Fed Ex push is something different compared to what most centers see.

Decent choices between suburban or rural settings based on where you want to live.

I have heard that The Center is in a very rough area of Memphis, and an episode of "The First 48" was filmed fight outside the gates in the early 2000s (before MPD kicked them out for interfering with criminal cases, including getting mass murderer Jessie Dotson's confessions thrown out). How bad of an area is it, and would you feel comfortable walking around outside the fence? I think this would be important to note for prospective trainees.

I have heard that The Center is in a very rough area of Memphis, and an episode of "The First 48" was filmed fight outside the gates in the early 2000s (before MPD kicked them out for interfering with criminal cases, including getting mass murderer Jessie Dotson's confessions thrown out). How bad of an area is it, and would you feel comfortable walking around outside the fence? I think this would be important to note for prospective trainees.

It is right next to the airport and not in a great part of town, but not anywhere close to the worst part either. I would never want to walk around outside the fence. Stopping at the gas station down the street can be an adventure as well.

It is right next to the airport and not in a great part of town, but not anywhere close to the worst part either. I would never want to walk around outside the fence. Stopping at the gas station down the street can be an adventure as well.
Ah the joys of a city on the downward swing. Nashville on the other hand is growing astronomically.

No, you absolutely would not want to walk around outside the fence. This would also be true for 90% of the actual city of Memphis, though.

No, you absolutely would not want to walk around outside the fence. This would also be true for 90% of the actual city of Memphis, though.

I was gonna say, what part of Memphis isn't "a very rough" part of town? haha

This is sad.

I had a good friend in military who was also a really good controller. He got ZME TOL, but he suddenly resigned in the early part of his D-side training and moved back home. He said he couldn't picture raising his family there and they weren't happy. I remember that shocked me and i kinda mockied him and giave him lots of crap for giving up such a good job etc etc. He was apparently right and knew best!

I have a hard time picturing it being that bad. In that bad a neighborhood or that bad a city. You wouldn’t want to walk around alone at night in most areas of even the richest big cities (even though if you did as long as you minded your own business and were not involved in drug transactions there is a very small chance you would be mugged or a victim of any crime, look up the psychological condition “mean world syndrome”).

But anyway imagine if Memphis center was in the ghetto highest crime area. Who cares? You would likely not live that close to the center and walk there, controllers would probably elect to live in a suburb or nicer city area.

Reminds me of when the Bills turned down Marvin Lewis for a head coaching job before the Bengals hired him. On his way out the city he made a comment like “I’m actually happy I didn’t get the job, I didn’t want to send my kids to the city schools” (the Buffalo inner city schools at the time were having big issues). But the asshole would not have lived in the inner city he have been living in a rich suburb making $2 Million a year so he never would have had to touch those school, he would have sent his daughters to the best private school.

I have a hard time picturing it being that bad. In that bad a neighborhood or that bad a city. You wouldn’t want to walk around alone at night in most areas of even the richest big cities (even though if you did as long as you minded your own business and were not involved in drug transactions there is a very small chance you would be mugged or a victim of any crime, look up the psychological condition “mean world syndrome”).

But anyway imagine if Memphis center was in the ghetto highest crime area. Who cares? You would likely not live that close to the center and walk there, controllers would probably elect to live in a suburb or nicer city area.

Reminds me of when the Bills turned down Marvin Lewis for a head coaching job before the Bengals hired him. On his way out the city he made a comment like “I’m actually happy I didn’t get the job, I didn’t want to send my kids to the city schools” (the Buffalo inner city schools at the time were having big issues). But the asshole would not have lived in the inner city he have been living in a rich suburb making $2 Million a year so he never would have had to touch those school, he would have sent his daughters to the best private school.

Go visit there. Spend a week. Let me know how you feel afterwards.

You don’t think people notice bmws and nice cars leaving this specific building. And you have to
Leave at odd times.

Bottom line...if you're really thinking about going there then you need to go there for at least a day or two. As stated, cost of living is fantastic and there's no traffic. That's also because nobody actually wants to live there. There have been at least 10 shootings on I-240 this year. That is how you're going to get to work if you live in the Tennessee-side suburbs. I would take Memphis over New York without thinking about it but I would give serious consideration to anything else.

Your seniority will get you much better days off because no one really transfers in. I was part of one of the first groups that got out via NCEPT. Most people had paperwork in at one point in time but let it expire. Once people found out that they were letting some of us go, you couldn't find a free computer in that building for 30 days because everyone was updating their crap.

Can anyone working at ZME point me in the right direction for somewhere to live? I start early July and have contacted 30+ apartments in Germantown and Collierville with no availability. I might have to do a hotel near the airport for a month and Ive been told that that might not be the beet area. Any help would be appreciated!

Can anyone working at ZME point me in the right direction for somewhere to live? I start early July and have contacted 30+ apartments in Germantown and Collierville with no availability. I might have to do a hotel near the airport for a month and Ive been told that that might not be the beet area. Any help would be appreciated!
Please don't get a hotel by the airport. I would look at hotels in East Memphis or Southaven MS. When I got here I airbnb'd for the first month before I found a place

You 100% need to stay away from the airport. Germantown and Collierville are nice but expensive. Lots of trainees wind up renting in the Cordova area. Arlington, Bartlett, Lakeland, or anything in Mississippi are much better options than close to the facility. You may be able to find houses to rent as well in Fayette or Tipton County.

anyone currently at ZME have any recommendations between South Haven, Olive Branch, or Hernando? I have school age kids so cordova is out of the question.

Back
Top Bottom