“ANY HELP, ADVICE, TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOME”

TannerP256

Lurker
In Sep I took the ATSA and scored Best Qualified, on Tuesday Feb 14th I attended the ATL Pre Employment Pop Up and pending my physical, background check etc I am expecting a FOL to start school in OKC. I am confident in my abilities but this is a big opportunity for me and I like to be well prepared. My first question is ultimately how difficult is the school and training? Any Advice, Suggestions or Criticisms on how to navigate this step the best way in order to be successful is much appreciated. My next question is a realistic pay scale going from fresh out of the academy to train up until I reach certification? At my current job in the paper industry, working swing shift (3rd, 2nd, 1st Shift) I made $75K this past year but I want more for my life in terms of a meaningful career with more opportunities to progress. A big worry I also have is not exactly knowing where I might end up after the academy. My girlfriend and I are expecting our son to be born June 8th so to leave financial security for this is a big risk and step for me but I have to take this opportunity for my family and for my future. I have read many comments about how stressful the career is, how different the pay can be depending on different factors, but I also have read many success stories and people explaining it is such a rewarding position to have. I believe I can do it I have made it this far, sorry for the rambling but any Advice, Commentary or Discussion is much appreciated. Thanks

Wow. What a paragraph.

1. The academy is objectively very difficult. The combined rate of getting accepted for employment and then graduating the academy is lower than most, if not all, higher education universities in the world. You will find rolling pass rate numbers on here, but generally the terminal pass rate hovers around 70% and enroute pass rate is around 55% (approximations).

2. I have heard of developmentals stuck in AG for 4+ years and some are fully qualified in 4 months. You will be sent where the FAA wants you (although you have a very limited say), period. If you finish last in your class and are stuck with a terrible choice, then you either accept it or quit, provided you actually were able to graduate in the first place.

3. I'm glad you are used to working multiple shifts because about 95% of the workforce is on that same schedule.

4. Having a basic understanding of aviation will help at the academy if you came from that background, but the instructors will teach you everything you need to know there from scratch. I have personally witnessed accountants graduate ahead of CTI graduates and former military (Army *chuckle*) controllers... you must be willing to put in the work though.

5. Congrats on the newborn!

My best advice is hurry up and wait. It's the government. Don't put in 2 weeks notice yet. Be patient. The pay is something I am sure someone will explain, as there are many variables. At this point, make your required appointments and be patient. Spend time with your family. Enjoy your weekends together.

If you must study, look at aircraft characteristics and types. Learn what an approach plate is/means.

Wow. What a paragraph.

1. The academy is objectively very difficult. The combined rate of getting accepted for employment and then graduating the academy is lower than most, if not all, higher education universities in the world. You will find rolling pass rate numbers on here, but generally the terminal pass rate hovers around 70% and enroute pass rate is around 55% (approximations).

2. I have heard of developmentals stuck in AG for 4+ years and some are fully qualified in 4 months. You will be sent where the FAA wants you (although you have a very limited say), period. If you finish last in your class and are stuck with a terrible choice, then you either accept it or quit, provided you actually were able to graduate in the first place.

3. I'm glad you are used to working multiple shifts because about 95% of the workforce is on that same schedule.

4. Having a basic understanding of aviation will help at the academy if you came from that background, but the instructors will teach you everything you need to know there from scratch. I have personally witnessed accountants graduate ahead of CTI graduates and former military (Army *chuckle*) controllers... you must be willing to put in the work though.

Thank you for your input and response!
Wow. What a paragraph.

5. Congrats on the newb
Wow. What a paragraph.

Thank you so much for your input, knowledge and perspective I appreciate it! I know this road will not be easy but I am ready for a change and I believe this opportunity is in front of me for a reason so I must at least try

My best advice is hurry up and wait. It's the government. Don't put in 2 weeks notice yet. Be patient. The pay is something I am sure someone will explain, as there are many variables. At this point, make your required appointments and be patient. Spend time with your family. Enjoy your weekends together.

If you must study, look at aircraft characteristics and types. Learn what an approach plate is/means.
That is sound advice! The process has went a little faster than I had anticipated but I am definitely being patient thanks!

I will add if you know / when you know getting a hold of the map during basics can be beneficial.

I listened to live atc and did a ton of stuff to prepare...

Since you are not in the aviation industry listen to live atc at jfk airport or NY tracon to get used to the speed.

Other than that it's just a wait, they told me 6-8 .months and then had a spot in 3 weeks asked if I could make it.

Also, brace your waifu for the move.

Initial certification is going to be the hardest most grueling process you've ever been through. The academy will be hard, but then when you get to your first facility, it's going to make the academy look like a cake walk. You are going to make mistakes as a trainee, and at times you are going to get overwhelmed, but theres a test of character that's going to happen: when you get overwhelmed, are you going to spiral out of control, or are you going to move on and keep operating at 100%. Good luck, it is rewarding being on this side. I dont know if there's another group of professionals who have more pride in their jobs than us. Also congrats on the baby.

Initial certification is going to be the hardest most grueling process you've ever been through. The academy will be hard, but then when you get to your first facility, it's going to make the academy look like a cake walk. You are going to make mistakes as a trainee, and at times you are going to get overwhelmed, but theres a test of character that's going to happen: when you get overwhelmed, are you going to spiral out of control, or are you going to move on and keep operating at 100%. Good luck, it is rewarding being on this side. I dont know if there's another group of professionals who have more pride in their jobs than us. Also congrats on the baby.
Thank you for this! I recognize the difficulty but nothing great comes easy I appreciate your response

I will add if you know / when you know getting a hold of the map during basics can be beneficial.

I listened to live atc and did a ton of stuff to prepare...

Since you are not in the aviation industry listen to live atc at jfk airport or NY tracon to get used to the speed.

Other than that it's just a wait, they told me 6-8 .months and then had a spot in 3 weeks asked if I could make it.

Also, brace your waifu for the move.
I will try that to prepare better thank you!

The gov is now giving three months of paid family leave if you are currently a federal employee when your child is born.

Don't feel too bad I missed it by a matter of weeks when it went into effect.
Ahhhh so I would need to be enrolled in school before his birth or have school completed before his birth to get this?

Holy shit……

Back
Top Bottom